Dr Turner Answers to your questions about Facelift Surgery
Facelift surgery can rejuvenate your face and make you look around 10 years younger. If you suffer from heavy jowls or sagging facial skin then facial rejuvenation surgery can really help. Dr Scott Turner is a facelift expert and specialist plastic surgeon in Newcastle and Sydney NSW. Here are his answers to common Facelift FAQs.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Facial Rejuvenation Surgery Guide
Different Types of Facelift FAQs
What is the best facelift procedure?
- There’s no BEST facelift procedure as right type of facelift for you will have will depend on the condition of your facial anatomy and your desired results. During your initial consultation, Dr Turner will assess your skin condition and overall treatment goals to determine the best type of facelift for your needs. There are many, many diffeent types of facelift (see below) including a Lower Facelift, an Upper Facelift and a Mini Facelift for younger patients.
What are the different facelift procedures?
- The best facelift for you can be determined once your surgeon conducts a detailed assessment. In general, your surgeon may perform one or a combination of the following types of facelift:
- Deep Plane Facelift
This procedure is recommended for the treatment of severe wrinkles on the cheek and neck. A deep plane facelift produces natural-looking and longer-lasting results.
- Full Brow Lift
Also known as a forehead lift, this procedure significantly reduces the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and creases on the area of your brow and forehead, resulting in a younger-looking appearance. It involves the creation of small incisions on each side of your scalp to move the skin upward.
- Temporal Brow Lift
This procedure involves the creation of smaller incisions at the side of your face in order to tighten the skin outward toward your temples. Unlike a full brow lift, this procedure is less invasive and requires less downtime.
- Mid-Face Lift
This procedure makes use of two small incisions under your lower eyelashes to lift the skin on your cheeks for a more dramatic outcome. A mid-facelift is recommended if you have sagging skin and wrinkles on the middle part of your face.
Also known as blepharoplasty, it involves the removal of excess skin on your upper eyelid area. This in turn reduces puffiness under the eyes, resulting in a well-rested look. Aside from cosmetic purposes, this procedure is also used to improve visual function by removing excess skin in the eyelid area.
- Lip Lift
This procedure enhances the appearance of your upper lip by addressing the loose skin around the areas of your mouth. A lip lift usually involves the creation of a small incision beneath your nose.
- Corner of the Mouth Lift
This procedure addresses the drooping or sagging skin on the corners of your mouth. As a result, you will look well-rested and more rejuvenated.
What is the most natural facelift?
- If you’re looking for a facelift that provides the most natural-looking and longest-lasting results, you should consider a deep plane facelift.
What is a deep plane facelift?
- The deep plane facelift is an advanced technique that focuses on the release and movement of muscle and fat layers instead of pulling and removing the skin. Specifically, it releases the ligaments tethering the deep plane layer in order to create skin movements that are free from tension. This ensures that no tightness is produced by the surgery.
What is a short scar facelift?
- This facelift technique uses a minimal incision to elevate the soft tissue layers of the deeper facial areas. If you have less skin redundancy or age-related changes in your neck area, then this procedure is right for you.
Is a facelift a good idea?
- A facelift offers longer-lasting results than other non-surgical treatments. The results typically last up to 7-10 years.
What is the difference between a facelift and a neck lift?
- A facelift can improve the appearance of the mid to lower part of your face such as the cheeks and jawline and partly restores the younger appearance of your neck. A necklift on the other hand significantly tightens your neck muscles and skin for a fresher look.
Does a facelift lift your neck?
- The results of a facelift will improve the appearance of the lower part of your face including your neck.
Does a lower facelift include the neck?
- Yes. In most cases, a lower facelift includes your neck area.
Can you have a necklift without a facelift?
- Yes. You can have a necklift as a separate procedure.
Facelift FAQs about an Ageing Face
How do you fix sagging jowls?
- Your best option to treat sagging jowls or heavy neck is through a neck lift.
At what age do jowls develop?
- Jowls commonly appear once you reach the age of 50. However, due to several factors, it can develop as early as the age of 30.
Does a facelift get rid of wrinkles?
- Yes. A facelift can greatly reduce your wrinkles by stretching out your skin. A dermal peel, dermapen or laser resurfacing can also help reduce minor wrinkles. For more Cosmetic Procedures and Plastic Surgery for Anti-Ageing, click here.
How many years younger can a facelift make you look?
- With a quality natural facelift procedure you may look 8 to 15 years younger after the surgery.
How can I tighten my neck and jowls?
- Combining a facelift and a necklift is your best choice in tightening your neck and jowls. The facelift will significantly reduce the appearance of your jowls while the necklift will remove the excess skin on your neck, resulting in a well-rested and younger-looking appearance.
Does a facelift make you look younger?
- Yes. The procedure can make you look younger by reducing the appearance of wrinkles and signs of facial ageing.
Should I get a facelift or fillers?
- The best type of procedure that you could get depends on what your goals are. Fillers work by restoring the fullness of your skin while a facelift removes the excess skin tissues on your face. In terms of results, facelift gives more realistic and longer-lasting results.
What is the best alternative to a facelift?
- There are several alternatives to facelift if you do not want to consider having surgery just yet. Here are some examples of these minimally invasive treatments:
- Ant Wrinkle Injections and dermal fillers
- Laser skin treatments
- Radio Frequency (RF) with microneedling
- Tightening treatments like Ultherapy
Many patients can delay having a facelift using these treatments but at some point, you need to reduce excess skin & lines and will need a facelift. Some patients have a mini facelift as early as 40 or 50. Find out What’s the Best Age for a Facelift.
Suitability for a Facelift FAQs – Am I a good candidate for Face Surgery?
How do I know if I need a facelift?
- The common signs that you might need a facelift are excess skin in your lower jawline and the formation of deep lines on your face. If these signs of ageing affect your self-esteem, it is most likely that you will benefit from a facelift.
What age is best for a facelift?
- In most cases, a mini facelift or facelift surgery is recommended if you are in your 40s, 50s, 60s or 70’s when signs of facial aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, and creases become more noticeable.
Who is a good candidate for a facelift?
- You are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are willing to adhere to the postoperative instructions.
- You don’t have any bleeding or clotting disorder that may delay the healing process.
- You have realistic expectations about the procedure.
- You have excess skin, wrinkles, lines, and creases in different parts of your face.
How would I look like with a facelift?
- By reducing the appearance of wrinkles on your face, you will look well-rested and rejuvenated after the procedure.
Preparing for a Facelift FAQs – Questions About preparing for a surgery
How do I prepare my face for a facelift?
- Before the procedure, you should:
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure.
- Avoid taking medications or supplements that can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications.
- Get laboratory testing or medical evaluation.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
Should I lose weight before a facelift?
- Yes. It is recommended that you’re near stable weight before the surgery as weight fluctuations can alter the results.
Surgery FAQs – Questions About Facelift Surgery
What are the steps in a facelift procedure?
- First, you will receive anaesthesia to prevent discomfort associated with the procedure. Once it has taken effect, your surgeon will create incisions on your face to tighten the target area. The type and length of the incisions will depend on your skin condition and desired results. Typically the incisions are hidden in existing creases, around the hairline or behind the ear. Your surgeon will then reshape your face by removing excess skin and using sutures to lift the area. Once the desired appearance is achieved, your surgeon will close the incisions.
What type of anaesthesia is used for facelifts?
- You will receive general anaesthesia during the procedure. Very few surgeons do a facelift under local anaesthesia. Be careful of any doctor offering a facelift in their own clinic under local, it may mean they are not a qualified plastic surgeon and have not been able to get accredited in a hospital.
Where are facelift scars located?
- This will depend on the type of facelift you have. To reduce the visibility of scars, your surgeon will conceal the incisions in your hairline and natural contours of your face and behind the ear.
How many hours does a facelift take?
- Depending on the type of facelift you had, the entire facial procedure can take 2 to 5 hours to complete.
Recovery after a FaceLift FAQs
What should I expect after a facelift?
- After the procedure, you can expect bruising and swelling of the facial area. These are normal and part of your body’s natural healing process. Learn more about Recovery after Facelift – Post-op Timeline & Best Tips.
How do you take care of your face after a facelift?
- After the procedure, you should do the following:
- Apply ice packs to your face.
- Avoid vigorous exercises and other activities that require bending, lifting, or straining.
- Elevate your head using pillows when sleeping.
- Wash your face with mild soap and water.
What is the fastest way to recover from a facelift?
- To speed up your recovery:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Elevate your head using two pillows when sleeping.
- Increase dietary protein intake.
- Keep the surgical incisions clean and dry.
- Protect the incisions from direct sunlight.
- Wear your chin strap as instructed
How long before a facelift looks natural?
- The recovery process can take 2 weeks but you can engage in vigorous activities after 4 weeks.
How long does it take to recover from a facelift?
- You should see natural-looking results after 6 months.
How long does the tightness last after a facelift?
- After the procedure, you may feel tightness in your face that can last for 2 months.
How long do ears hurt after a facelift?
- You may feel tolerable pain in your ears that can last less than 6 weeks.
How do you sleep after a facelift?
- You should sleep with the back of your head on the pillow to avoid putting pressure on the incision sites.
How long after a facelift can I sleep on my side?
- You can sleep on your side after 2 to 4 weeks.
Should you massage your face after a facelift?
- Yes. You can perform gentle, upward facial massage to improve the flexibility of the area. Seek you surgeons advice.
How long should I ice after a facelift?
- You should apply an ice pack on your face for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Be careful of an ice burn (wrap in a towel).
How do you reduce swelling after a facelift?
- To reduce swelling, you should elevate your head when sleeping and apply an ice pack to your face during the day.
How long is the face swollen after a facelift?
- The swelling should subside after 1 to 2 weeks.
How long should you wear a compression bandage after a facelift?
- You should wear it for 1 to 3 weeks.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after a facelift?
- The swelling can take several weeks if you don’t wear a compression garment.
How long should you wear the chin strap after a facelift?
- You need to wear the chin strap religiously for the first two weeks after the surgery.
How do you clean facelift stitches?
- You should use mild soap and water to wash your incision sites when the incision has healed.
How do you wash your hair after a facelift?
- You may shower using a mild shampoo 48 hours after a facelift.
How do you get rid of a lump after a facelift?
- Before you go home, your surgeon will teach you a special type of massage known as manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) to remove any lumps associated with a facelift.
How soon can I wear makeup after a facelift?
- You need to wait at least 10 days before wearing makeup.
How long does it take to look normal after a facelift?
- Your facial appearance will improve after a month but the final results will become noticeable after 6 months.
When can I wash my hair after a facelift?
- You can wash your hair after 48 hours.
What can you eat after a facelift?
- It is recommended that you consume lean proteins to speed up your healing. This includes white meat, fish, beans, peas, and dairy products.
Longer term Results of Facelift FAQs – Q & A About Results
How long do the effects of a facelift last?
- The effects of a facelift can last up to 10 years.
Is a facelift permanent?
- While the effects of the procedure can last for 10 years, it is not designed to last a lifetime. You may need another facelift surgery in the future once the signs of facial aging begin to reappear.
How often should you get a facelift?
- Many patients have a facelift in their 40’s to early-50’s. A second facelift may be performed once you are in your mid-to-late 60’s.
Can you get a facelift twice?
- You will need a follow-up facelift 10 years after the first one. In some cases, you may want to have another facelift after 5 years to ensure the best results. You can further discuss this matter with your surgeon.
Concerns & Risks of Facelift FAQs
Do facelifts ever look natural?
- Yes they can. Dr Turner is an expert at natural looking facelifts. This will depend on the type of facelift, the condition of your facial skin, and your desired results.
Does a facelift affect your ears?
- The procedure can lead to the development of pulled-down earlobes.
What is a pixie ear after a facelift?
- A pixie ear is characterized by a “stuck on” or “pulled” appearance. This occurs because the medial cheek and jawline skin flaps create a pulling effect at the attachment point of the earlobe.
Does a facelift change your earlobes?
- Over time, the medial cheek and jawline skin flaps can pull your earlobes, resulting in a pulled-down appearance.
Pricing and Value of Facelift FAQs
Is it worth getting a facelift?
- Yes. The procedure can give you a well-rested and younger-looking appearance so it’s definitely worth it.
Is a lower facelift worth it?
- If you prefer a facelift with less scarring and shorter recovery time, a lower facelift is definitely worth it.
How much does a facelift for jowls cost?
- This will depend on several factors such as:
- The materials used
- The type of facelift you have
- Your skin condition
- Your surgeon’s fee – based on the skill and experience of your surgeon
- In Australia, a facelift can cost between $20k and $75k depending on the extent and experience of your surgeon
Further Reading About Facelifts
- Read Dr Turner’s page on Facelift Surgery
- Read Dr Turner’s page on Mini Facelift Surgery
- See Dr Turner’s Natural Facelift Surgery Before and After Patient Photo Gallery
- Read the Blog on the Best Age for a Facelift
- Read the Blog on Looking Younger with Surgery and Non Surgical Treatments
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website pages and Blogs to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a medical referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Turner
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simpler clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about Dr Turner’s pricing, medical finance & payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Scott Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.