Mummy Makeover FAQs – Your Breast & Tummy Surgery Questions Answered
A mummy makeover can help restore your pre-pregnancy body. Dr Scott Turner is a Plastic Surgeon in Newcastle and Sydney and an expert at breast and tummy surgery for women. Here are his most asked mummy makeover FAQs.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Mummy Makeover Surgery Guide
About a Mummy Makeover
What’s included in a Mummy Makeover?
- This group of procedures can include breast surgery, tummy tuck, genital surgery, and body contouring surgery.
Is a Mummy Makeover a good idea?
- Mummy makeover surgery is a great way to restore your body shape and appearance after pregnancy or significant weight loss. This group of procedures can include breast surgery to lift, reduce or contour, tummy tuck and muscle repair, genital surgery, and other body contouring surgery like liposuction.
How do I know if I need a Mummy Makeover?
- A mummy makeover may help if you have noticed the following
- Breasts that have lost their shape and volume
- Enlarged areolas
- Excess skin or fat in different body areas
- Frequent vaginal irritation due to excess skin or tissue folds
- Lopsided breasts
- Nipples that fall below the breast crease
- Sagging abdominal skin
- Sagging or drooping breasts
- Stretched breast tissue
How can I tighten my tummy with a Mummy Makeover?
- A mummy makeover can include a surgical procedure known as a full tummy tuck with muscle repair which removes most of the skin and fat between your belly button and pubic area. This in turn tightens the abdominal area. During the surgery your post-pregnancy split tummy muscles – diastasis recti – are stitched and repaired.
What is the best alternative to a Mummy Makeover?
- Depending on the results you want to achieve, your surgeon may recommend non-surgical procedures such as laser treatments, radiofrequency-based treatments, or fat-dissolving injections. For most women, with excess stretched skin, split tummy muscles or significantly sagging breasts, surgery is required. Medicare and private health insurance may help with some procedures.
Should I get a Mummy Makeover or Liposuction?
- If you want longer-lasting results and you desire treatment of multiple body areas, a mummy makeover is right for you. However, if you prefer a lesser invasive procedure with a shorter recovery time, you should undergo liposuction. If you have significant excess or stretched skin, liposuction alone cannot help, and surgery is indicated.
How many years younger can a Mummy Makeover make you look?
- Depending on the number of procedures you have, a mummy makeover procedures will look tighter, smoother, and younger-looking and can help you look 3 to 10 years younger in the body area treated.
How much weight do you lose with a mummy makeover?
- While the procedure is designed to restore your pre-pregnancy body, its primary function is not weight loss. During breast and tummy surgery excess skin and tissue weighing 2 to 5kg may be removed.
Does Medicare and health insurance cover Mummy Makeover?
- Medicare and other insurance providers do NOT cover cosmetic procedures such as mummy makeover. However, if the procedure is medically necessary and you meet the strict medicare criteria , your insurance may cover some of the costs. Typically this may be breast surgery or post-weight loss tummy tuck. Tummy tuck for post-pregnancy skin removal is no longer covered by Medicare Item Number 30177
What is a full mummy makeover?
- This includes breast surgery, tummy tuck with muscle repair, genital surgery, and body contouring surgery.
Can you have a Mummy Makeover twice?
- The inevitable effects of ageing or a future pregnancy can alter the results of your first procedure so you may need to undergo another surgery to improve your overall body contour.
Mummy Makeover Types FAQs – Questions About Mummy Makeover Types
What are the best Mummy Makeover procedures?
- Depending on your desired results, your mummy makeover can include breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, tummy tuck, 360 abdominoplasty or liposuction.
What are the different types of Mummy Makeover?
- This includes various combinations of breast surgery, tummy surgery, liposuction, vaginal rejuvenation, and facial rejuvenation.
Mummy Makeover Suitability FAQs – Questions About being a candidate for Mummy Makeover
What is the best age for a Mummy Makeover?
- Although there is no recommended ideal age for a mummy makeover, it is recommended that you wait until you have finished having children as future pregnancies can alter the results of your surgery.
Is 60 too old for a Mummy Makeover?
- No. As long as you have good physical and mental health, you are allowed to have the procedure. Your surgeon will check your health history before the procedure to ensure that you are a good candidate.
Who is a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
- You are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are bothered by the appearance of excess skin or fat resulting from pregnancy.
- You are in good overall health.
- You are within the stable body weight.
- You don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations.
- You have no plans on getting pregnant after the surgery.
- You’re not a heavy drinker.
Mummy Makeover Preparation FAQs – Questions About Mummy Makeover Preparation
How do I prepare for a Mummy Makeover?
- Before a mummy makeover, you should:
- Achieve a stable weight.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Avoid getting pregnant.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure.
- Get a medical evaluation or laboratory testing.
- Inform your surgeon of any medication that you are taking to prevent complications.
- Stop smoking.
Should I lose weight before a Mummy Makeover?
- Yes, lose as much excess weight as possible. It is recommended that you are within stable weight to lower your risk of complications. Also, weight fluctuations after the procedure can significantly affect the results.
- Most plastic surgeons prefer patients have a BMI of under 30. Some surgeons will perform operations on BMI up to 35. Very few plastic surgeons will operate on patients over BMI of 40 – suggesting obesity weight loss surgery instead.
Mummy Makeover Surgery – Questions About Mummy Makeover Surgery
What are the steps in a Mummy Makeover procedure?
- First choose and consult your surgeon and book surgery. Once in theatre, you will receive general anaesthesia. When anaesthesia has taken effect, your surgeon will create incisions in the target area. The underlying tissue is then repositioned and tightened. If excess skin is present, your surgeon will remove it and will secure the position and appearance of the area using sutures. If excess fat is present, a thin tube will be inserted into the incision and the fat will be removed using a powerful suction (liposuction). Once the desired appearance is achieved, your surgeon will close the incisions with sutures or staples.
How many hours does a Mummy Makeover take?
- The length of a mummy makeover will depend on the type and number of procedures you are having. In general, it can take 4.5 to 5.5 hours to complete.
What type of anaesthesia is used for Mummy Makeover?
- The procedure uses general anaesthesia. As combined breast and tummy surgery is a large surgery, please avoid any surgeon offering Mummy Makeover surgery under twilight or local anaesthesia.
Where are Mummy Makeover scars located?
- The location of the surgical scars will depend on the type of procedure you had. To reduce scar visibility, your surgeon will create the incisions along the natural folds of your skin. Typically under the breast and along the bikini line.
Mummy Makeover Recovery FAQs – Questions About Mummy Makeover Recovery
How long does it take to recover from a Mummy Makeover?
- Depending on the number of procedures you had, your recovery time can take one to four weeks.
What is the fastest way to recover from a Mummy Makeover?
- To speed up your recovery:
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid massaging the area.
- Avoid putting pressure or tension on the suture lines.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Keep the operated area elevated.
- Rest as much as possible.
- Take the prescribed medications on time.
- Wear your compression garments religiously.
How long does the tightness last after a Mummy Makeover?
- The tightness can persist for several weeks to months.
How long before Mummy Makeover looks natural?
- You should wait at least 6 months to a year to see final results.
How soon can you fly after a mommy makeover?
- It is recommended that you wait 4 to 6 weeks before getting on a plane.
How do you sleep after a Mummy Makeover?
- You should sleep on your back after the procedure to prevent putting extra pressure on the suture lines.
How long after a Mummy Makeover can I sleep on my side?
- You need to wait at least three to six weeks before sleeping on your side.
How do you reduce swelling after a Mummy Makeover?
- To reduce swelling, you should keep the operated area elevated and wear your compression garments as directed. You should also gently apply a wrapped ice compress to the area to keep swelling to a minimum and minimize discomfort.
How painful is recovery from Mummy Makeover?
- The pain is usually tolerable and can be easily managed with medications and ice compress.
How long should you wear compression garments after a Mummy Makeover?
- You need to wear your compression garments for four to six weeks or as directed by your surgeon.
Can I sleep without my compression garments?
- No. You should wear your compression garments throughout the day and when sleeping to reduce postoperative swelling.
What happens if you don’t wear compression garments after Mummy Makeover?
- Not wearing your compression garments can lead to prolonged swelling and suboptimal result.
When can I take a shower after mummy makeover?
- You should wait at least 48 hours before showering.
How do you wash your hair after a Mummy Makeover?
- You can wash your hair with lukewarm water and mild shampoo. Please avoid getting the incision wet.
How do you clean Mummy Makeover stitches?
- You can clean them with mild soap and water or antimicrobial solution.
What can you eat after a Mummy Makeover?
- You should consume foods high in protein to speed up the wound healing process. Eat healthy nutritious food.
Can you walk after mummy makeover?
- Gentle walking is highly recommended to improve blood circulation and prevent blood clots after the procedure.
Mummy Makeover Results – Questions About Mummy Makeover Results
How long do the effects of a Mummy Makeover last?
- The effects of the procedure can last for several years if you maintain a good diet and exercise regimen. Over time, ageing and further pregancy may impact results.
Does a Mummy Makeover make you look younger?
- Yes. The procedure improves the appearance of the target area by tightening and repositioning the skin. This can give you a younger-looking appearance.
Is a Mummy Makeover permanent?
- The effects of the procedure are long-lasting. However, the procedure is not designed to last a lifetime as pregnancy or signs of ageing can happen in the future and you may need another surgery to maintain your younger-looking appearance.
How can you tell if someone had a Mummy Makeover?
- In most cases, it is difficult to tell whether you had a mummy makeover especially if the procedure is performed in hidden areas such as the breasts and abdomen.
Mummy Makeover Concerns FAQs – Questions About Mummy Makeover Concerns
Can a Mummy Makeover make you look worse?
- If performed by an inexperienced surgeon, the procedure could make you look worse by altering your body proportions. This can also lead to complications that can significantly affect the results of a procedure.
Do Mummy Makeovers ever look natural?
- Yes. Before the procedure, your surgeon will assess your health history and body anatomy to ensure natural results. In addition, your surgeon will also create incisions in the natural folds of your skin to reduce scar visibility.
What are the risks of a mummy makeover?
- Like all surgery, The procedure has risks. The risks and potential complications can include:
- Anaesthesia risks, Bleeding, Blood clots, Capsular contracture (formation of scar tissue around the implant), Death of tissues
- Delayed healing of incisions, Fluid accumulation under the skin, Implant leakage, Inability to breastfeed, Infection, Loss of nipple sensation, Unfavourable scarring
Before a mummy makeover, your surgeon will discuss with you the associated risks for you to gain a complete understanding of the procedure. You need to read and sign an informed consent before the procedure.
For more information about how to reduce your risks of surgery read the webpage.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about Funding – Questions About Mummy Makeover Worth
Will Medicare and Insurance pay for Mummy Makeover?
- Maybe. The procedure is considered cosmetic in nature so some of the surgery it won’t be covered by Medicare or other insurance providers. However, if the procedure can be performed to correct a condition (e.g. pain due to large breast size, frequent irritation due to sagging skin, or vaginal irritation due to excess labial folds), it may be medically necessary. In this case, your insurance provider may cover some of the costs of the procedure. For this reason, it is recommended that you review your health insurance policy before undergoing a mummy makeover.
Is it worth getting a Mummy Makeover?
- A mummy makeover can boost your self-confidence, improve your quality of life, and correct certain medical conditions. 97% of Mummy Makeover patients surveyed by Realself rated the procedure as worth it.