Why Do Surgeons Listen To Music in the Operating Theatre?
Ever wondered why surgeons listen to music in the operating theatre? All over the world, you will find surgeons listening to music as they operate. Some studies say this can help them relax and reduce stress.
Music found to improve Surgery Results
Two researchers from the University of Texas Medical Branch have described how they invited 15 plastic surgeons to close incisions on pigs feet and found when they did this while listening to their preferred music, their stitches were better and faster.
The researchers used pig’s feet because they are widely accepted as similar to human skin when it comes to practising wound closure. The surgeons were invited to carry out two identical ‘wound repairs’ on pigs feet, using layered stitches, on 2 consecutive days. The participants were not told the purpose of the study. They were simply asked to perform at their best and tell the researchers when they had finished.
They did not know the researchers were comparing times and grading the results until after the study. When they compared the results, the researchers found the average completion time of the repair for all the surgeons was 7% less when their preferred music was playing, and 10% less for more experienced surgeons,
A chief plastic surgery resident comments; “spending less time in the operating room can translate into significant cost reductions, particularly when incision closure is a large portion of the procedure, such as in a tummy tuck”. He notes that reducing wound repair time is also better for the patient, as longer time spent under general anaesthesia is linked to higher risk of complications.
The researchers also compared the quality of the work, and results showed that repair quality improved overall when surgeons carried out wound closures while listening to their preferred music. Dr Turner’s patients may or may not be aware that he always has his favourite music playing whilst in the operating theatre!!
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website pages and Blogs to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a medical referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Turner
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simpler clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about Dr Turner’s pricing, medical finance & payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Scott Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.