Cosmetic surgery can help get your pre-baby body back. Vaginal rejuvenation can help you regain your confidence. There are different kinds of vaginal cosmetic procedures that work on improving the look and feel of your vagina based on your unique situation. Could a Labiaplasty help?
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Labiaplasty Surgery Guide
Impact of Childbirth on your Vagina – What Happens and Why?
Many women feel insecure about their genitalia after giving birth to a child. The vagina can feel loose, soft and more open. Not only that, but it also looks different. For many, the vagina never returns completely back to the pre-birth state which can result in feeling insecure, reduced pleasure, incontinence and sometimes pain.
In most cases, the vagina does not return to its early state after giving birth to a baby (especially if it happens later in life). The vagina becomes wider, vaginal walls sensation decreases significantly, and post-pregnancy issues like sexual dysfunction and urinary incontinence can also occur.
This mostly happens when:
- You give birth to multiple children
- You experience perineal wounds and tears as a result of vaginal birth
- The surgeon’s use of forceps/vacuum extractors during the delivery
- You give natural birth to large-sized babies
- Your body weight keeps fluctuating
- You may have inherited a connective tissue abnormality. Genetics are to be blamed here
- If you are more than 35 years of age
Changes in the Vagina after a Caesarean Section
Most of us assume that if we give birth with a C-section, we will not have any vaginal problems after giving birth. However, this is not the case. You can face vaginal problems if:
- The change in hormones reduces the muscle tone of your vagina
- If your pregnant uterus puts stress on the vagina
- Various ligaments and muscles cause vaginal and uterine prolapse of varying intensities
When should I consider Vaginal Rejuvenation After Child Birth?
It is your choice at the end of the day. You could wait to get vaginal rejuvenation till you give birth to all your children or get it done after your first child and go for a touch-up afterwards. Regardless of the choice you make, you may need time to heal first. Most surgeons recommend waiting for a period of three to six months before opting for any surgical procedures. Be patient with yourself and do not rush into the vaginal rejuvenation surgery. It is the only way you may be able to achieve optimal results.
Moreover, there are also factors like cost, pre- and post-surgical care, and recovery period that must be considered. You might need someone to help you with the kids and around the house when you are healing from the surgery. You will also need time off from work. Hence, thinking about all these aspects will help you decide on the ideal time to get the vaginal rejuvenation surgery.
For some people, it is wise to go for a vaginal rejuvenation procedure after they give birth to their first child. For others, it would be wise to get the procedure done when they do not plan to have any children. It will be a one-time cost and they can enjoy the results for the years to come. You can decide by having a consultation with a plastic surgeon as well as your local GP. Talk to other women who have had this procedure done.
Think about it long and hard and then decide on the timeframe. Remember, not a single great decision should be made in a rush.
Types of Cosmetic Vaginal Plastic Surgery & Post-Pregnancy Rejuvenation
Here are the top vaginal plastic surgery procedures you can opt for:
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure designed to improve the look of your labia. The procedure essentially decreases the size of labia minor (inner tissues of genitalia) so that it is flush with labia major. It is one of the most commonly performed aesthetic genital plastic surgery procedures.
2. Vaginoplasty (NOT offered by Dr Turner)
Vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure that is aimed at tightening up your vagina which has become loose as a result of childbirth or natural aging. The results of the surgery can improve sensitivity down there along with heightened sexual pleasure.
3. Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation – Mona Lisa Touch or Femilase (NOT currently offered by Dr Turner)
Laser vaginal rejuvenation is a non-surgical procedure aimed at rejuvenating your vagina. It is also known as female vaginal surgery and female genital rejuvenation. The procedure can help with your vaginal dryness, bladder leakage, vaginal tissue loss, and enhanced sexual pleasure. This option is ideal for those who are looking for a non-surgical alternative. However, in some cases, laser vaginal rejuvenation is not enough and surgical measures are needed.
4. Perineoplasty (NOT performed by Dr Turner)
Perineoplasty is a surgical procedure that is focused on correcting the damage/defects of the anus and vagina. It primarily removes scar tissues, unwanted skin, or bulges, while tightening/loosening the vagina and perineal muscles. It aims at both function and aesthetics. This procedure is usually performed by an Obs/Gyno Surgeon.
Different Types of Labiaplasty Procedures and Why You Should Get It
There are various reasons why you may opt for labiaplasty surgery. Some of them are aging, genetics, childbirth, painful sex and discomfort wearing certain clothing items. Enlarged labia can also cause hygiene issues, infections, pain, self-consciousness and discomfort. Whatever your reason is, labiaplasty may fix it. Conventionally, there was only one type of labiaplasty that worked quite well. Over time, techniques and surgeries have evolved and now the surgery can be classified into two main types:
1. Trim Labiaplasty
This is the most used technique for labiaplasty. During the surgery, the surgeon will get rid of excess labia minora and will stitch it in place. The goal of the surgery is to make labia minora symmetrical with labia majora.
2. Wedge Labiaplasty
This technique is aimed at removing the thickness of labia minora. The surgeon will remove the partial thickness while keeping the mucous membrane intact. This particular procedure gives the most natural-looking results.
Vaginoplasty Procedure and Why You Should Get It
After having vaginal childbirth, many of us women experience vaginal laxity which occurs as a result of excessive stretching of tissues and muscle separation. The laxity can vary in intensity. Some of us have a very minor stretching, while for others, the extent of muscle separation can lead to sexual dysfunction and tampons falling out.
Initially, the surgeon will determine the amount of tightening required. Then the surgeon will use a wedge to mark the extra skin that needs to be removed. Underneath the excess skin, the surgeon will tighten vaginal tissues with the help of strong sutures. Once the vaginal canal is fixed, the mucosal membrane will be closed with the help of dissolvable sutures. In certain cases, the external skin protrudes which is reduced to create aesthetically pleasing results.
Vaginoplasty or Labiaplasty? What Should I Consider?
Before making the decision, you need to understand the concept of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive surgeries are aimed at improving bodily functions while cosmetic surgery enhances aesthetics.
If you are facing problems with intercourse, periods, urinary incontinence, having pain and discomfort, and also wish to improve the look of your vagina, a vaginoplasty is the right option for you. On the other hand, if you only wish to transform the appearance of your labia, then go for labiaplasty.
The only way to determine which procedure is right for you is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. After examination, the surgeon will present you with suitable treatment options.
Risks Associated with Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty
It is important to understand that long-term satisfaction, as well as complication rates from both these procedures, have not been tracked yet. None of these surgeries have been evaluated by peer-reviewed medical journals. However, most women don’t face any complications from the surgery and seem to be quite satisfied with the results. Moreover, with every surgery, whether cosmetic or reconstructive, comes a certain degree of risk. Vaginoplasty and labiaplasty are no different.
Here is a list of risks associated with the surgery:
- Changes in sensation
- Swelling and bruising for the first few months
- Persistent pain
- Scarring and pigmentation
If you have been considering getting either of these procedures, it is important to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in vaginal surgeries. Talk to your surgeon openly. Discuss all your fears, concerns, expectations and also explore non-surgical options. Once you completely understand the ins and outs of vaginal surgery, get it done. It is also important to understand that most insurances will not pay for such surgeries unless they are deemed as a medical necessity by your health-care provider. Figure out your finances in advance and how you plan to pay for the surgery.
Some Important Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
Here are some important questions that you need to ask your plastic surgeon during the initial consultation:
- What are the possible risks associated with the surgery?
- What are the key benefits of getting this surgery done? Do benefits outweigh the risks?
- Will I experience increased/decreased sensation after the surgery?
- Will the surgery have an impact on sexual pleasure?
- What are the restrictions after getting the surgery? (Using particular types of feminine hygiene products, tampons etc.)
- Are my expectations with labiaplasty/vaginoplasty realistic?
- Are there any non-surgical options we can explore?
- How long will the results of the treatment last?
- Can I give birth to children naturally after getting these procedures done?
FAQs about Vaginal Rejuvenation Post Pregnancy
Does vaginal rejuvenation include labiaplasty?
- Vaginal rejuvenation can include various procedures that enhance the look and feel of your vagina. One of those procedures can be labiaplasty. Other procedures which might be a part of vaginal rejuvenation based on your unique needs are clitoral hood reduction, vaginoplasty, labia majoraplasty, and monsplasty.
What is the purpose of labiaplasty?
- The goal of labiaplasty is to reduce the size of inner tissues of female genitalia called labia minora. This goal can be achieved using a couple of different surgical techniques based on the patient’s unique needs and requirements.
Can labiaplasty cause nerve damage?
- Ideally, it shouldn’t happen if you choose the right surgeon and follow all the pre- and post-care instructions properly. However, nerve damage is one of the serious risks associated with the surgery.
Does labiaplasty affect sensation?
- It can impact the sensation positively. As per ASAPS, “Most labiaplasty techniques can be performed safely and are unlikely to cause loss of sensation as the nerve density distribution in labia minora is heterogeneous.”
Does labiaplasty cause dryness?
- Chronic dryness is one of the possible complications associated with the surgery. Make sure to choose the right surgeon who knows his/her craft well. Apart from that, follow all the pre- and post-surgical instructions to minimize any complications.
How can I tighten my vagina?
- You might find a lot of myths on Google about tightening your vagina. Some of them are exercises, drinking certain concoctions, and more. However, the only way to tighten your vagina is by getting vaginoplasty surgery.
Is it normal to have extra skin down there?
- Yes, it is fairly normal to have large skin down there and this condition is known as labial hypertrophy.
Want to Explore Your Options? What Next?
So, you wish to transform how your vagina looks and feels but don’t know where to begin. Well, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is where you need to get started. Fill out the consultation form and one of our team members will get back to you shortly.
About Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures. He is a committed board member of ASAPS – Australia Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download a Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment
BOOK A PHONE CALL FOR MORE INFO
- To find out more information about surgery you can book a FREE 15 minute phone conversation with our Patient Care team – BOOK A CALENDLY CALL
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your surgeon consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]