Dr Turner Uses General Anaesthesia – Not Twilight Sedation for patients
Dr Turner does not perform any cosmetic breast surgery under twilight sedation due to the risks associated with administering such a large volume of local anaesthetic toxicity .
We have had a lot of enquiries from patients seeking breast implants regarding twilight sedation and the problems associated with local anaesthetic overdoses so we thought to touch base on the topic to give a better understanding for anyone considering cosmetic surgery.
What is Twilight Sedation?
Twilight sedation is where local anaesthesia is often combined with another medication that makes you drowsy and gives you amnesia.
Dr Turner chooses to use general anaesthesia for all patients undergoing breast augmentation, administered by a highly qualified anaesthetist in the operating theatre who is then able to place a breathing tube down your throat to make sure you can breathe freely without difficulty and will often use a ventilator to make sure there are no complications with the patients breathing.
Local anaesthetic overdose is preventable and caused when a doctor administers too high a dose. If a patient were to have a reaction to an overdose of local anaesthetic, there is a high chance that this may lead to death although some more common features are cardiac arrest and seizures.
The medication that is administered to make the patient drowsy will also sedate you. As you are not fully asleep during the procedure, this may result in the patient being incredibly uncomfortable and in pain during the procedure but will not remember the experience afterwards due to the memory loss side effect.
Twilight sedation is a cheaper option for clinics to provide as they are not required to have a qualified anaesthetist on site, the patient does not need to attend a proper hospital and no nursing staff are required. Dr Turner uses fully qualified anaesthetists in Sydney’s best fully accredited private hospitals to make sure his patients are always safe and comfortable throughout the procedure and in recovery.
Dr Turner’s patient’s safety and peace of mind is one of the fundamental features of your experience at Northern Beaches Cosmetic Plastic Surgery. Dr Turner is a member of ASAPS, FRACS and ISAPS, all accreditations that you should look for in a surgeon when considering cosmetic plastic surgery.
If you have any further questions on the above topic, please contact one of our friendly practice staff on 1300 641 199.
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website pages and Blogs to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a medical referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Turner
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simpler clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about Dr Turner’s pricing, medical finance & payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Scott Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.