Enlarged Breasts in Men and Puffy Nipples – Causes and Treatment Options
Puffy nipples can make your chest look less masculine than you’d like. Because of enlarged breasts and puffy nipples, some men avoid certain activities such as going to the beach, gym or pool. While puffy nipples are harmless, they can be a cosmetic concern. Fortunately, a procedure called Gynaecomastia Surgery or Male Breast Reduction Surgery can help reduce the size of your nipples and improve the contour of your chest.
Dr Scott Turner is an experienced Sydney Plastic Surgeon and Gynaecomastia Expert – find out more about his signature gynaecomastia technique and have a look at before and after photos of male breast reduction patients.
What Causes Puffy Nipples?
Several factors can lead to the development of this condition, such as the following:
- Excess weight or fat
- Genetics – particularly Indian Heritage
- Gynaecomastia (enlargement of breast tissue in men)
- Hormonal changes (e.g. during puberty)
- Steroid use
Gynaecomastia Surgery for Puffy Nipples
Enlarged breasts in men are caused by an excess of fat tissue, glandular tissue or both. Gynaecomastia surgery can be performed on one or both breasts.
During gynaecomastia surgery, you will receive local or general anaesthesia, depending on the complexity of the procedure. You may require liposuction or surgical excision or a combination of both to achieve an optimal result and the best chest contour.
Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, Dr Turner will create several small incisions through the breast tissue. The excess tissue or fat is then removed to create smaller, more masculine-looking breasts.
Surgery to remove the excess breast fat or tissue can involve a procedure called liposuction, which makes use of a small, thin tube attached to a powerful suction machine. To correct puffy nipples, Dr Turner will remove the excess fat, but can also surgically remove the glandular tissue.
Once the desired breast contour is achieved, he will close the incisions using sutures.
Benefits of Male Breast Reduction Surgery for Puffy Nipples
The Gynaecomastia Surgery procedure can offer the following benefits:
- Improved hygiene
- Increased self-esteem
- A more masculine chest
- More clothing options
- Reduced skin irritation
Are you a Potential Candidate for Gynaecomastia Surgery?
During your consultation, your general health condition, breast condition, and expectations will be carefully assessed to determine if gynaecomastia surgery is right for you. In general, you are a potential candidate for the procedure if:
- You are looking to reduce the size of your nipple/ areola/ breasts due to asymmetry or for aesthetic reasons
- You have undergone significant weight loss, resulting in breast sagging or puffy nipples
- You have had unsatisfactory results from past breast surgery
- You are suffering from physical discomforts associated with larger breasts
- You have low self-confidence due to the appearance of your breasts
- You have realistic expectations and a positive outlook
- You are in good overall physical and mental health
Watch Dr Turner’s Gynecomastia Video
Recovery and Aftercare for Male Breast Reduction Surgery
To speed up your recovery and prevent complications, you will need to adhere to the following postoperative instructions
FAQs about Gyno Surgery for Puffy Nipples
How long does gynaecomastia surgery take?
- The entire procedure usually takes 1-2 hours to complete. This will depend on several factors such as your breast condition, the results you want to achieve, and the overall complexity of the case.
What is the recovery process like after Gyno Surgery for Puffy Nipples?
- After gynaecomastia surgery, you will need to limit your activity for approximately one month to allow your wounds to heal. Although you may have some swelling and bruising, you can usually resume your work (except for jobs that involve strenuous activities) in a couple of days.
- You will need to avoid physical chest contact for three to four weeks to prevent putting pressure on the incision sites. In the first few days, you may experience pain in the surgical incision sites but this can be easily managed by taking the prescribed painkillers.
What kind of scars will I have after gynaecomastia surgery?
- The scars from the procedure are usually not very visible. Over time, the scars will lighten and become even less noticeable.
How do I prepare for gynaecomastia surgery for puffy nipples?
After your consultation, you’ll be given a date for your surgery including specific instructions on how to prepare. These may include the following:
- Avoid certain medications that can increase your risk of bleeding such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages a few weeks before the surgery
- Avoid wearing makeup or other cosmetics on the day of the surgery
- Fast the day before surgery if general anaesthesia will be used
- Get the prescribed laboratory tests or medical evaluation
- Schedule a few weeks off work
- Use the prescribed surgical soap on the day of the surgery
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes on the day of the surgery
Can exercise reduce the appearance of puffy nipples?
Performing certain chest exercises that focus on strengthening and toning your chest muscles can help reduce the appearance of puffy nipples. These include the following:
- Barbell bench press
- Chest press
- Forward dips
- Incline bench cable fly
In addition, you should also perform some aerobic exercises such as:
- Jumping rope
Can diet reduce the appearance of puffy nipples?
- If the cause of puffy nipples is excess body fat, then your diet should focus on reducing your weight. Foods to include in your diet are raw fruit and vegetables. You also eat high-fibre foods such as beans, broccoli, berries, avocados, whole grains, and dried fruits. To avoid weight gain, you should limit eating processed foods with added sugars and refined carbohydrates (e.g. white bread, pastries, and pasta).
If the cause of puffy nipples is hormonal imbalance, it is recommended that you avoid foods high in estrogen, a hormone that modulates sex drive, erection, and sperm production. Evidence suggests that this hormone promotes fat storage in men which can lead to significant weight gain. Therefore, you should avoid estrogen-rich foods such as:
- Dried fruits
- Flax seeds
- Lima beans
- Sesame seeds
- Soy products
- Split peas
- Wheat bran
What happens if gynaecomastia is not treated?
- In general, gynaecomastia is not a serious medical condition. However, if you have gynaecomastia, you are more likely to experience physical discomforts such as frequent skin irritation, breast pain, and poor hygiene due to moisture build-up under the skin folds. In addition, you can also experience emotional issues such as low self-esteem or self-confidence, leading to social isolation.
Can breasts and puffy nipples grow back after surgery?
- Gynaecomastia is the plastic surgery performed to help men get a more masculine chest. During the procedure, Dr Turner eliminates the excess skin, fat and glandular tissue. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the results of the surgery can be impacted by significant weight gain. Also, the use of steroids and certain medications can cause enlarged breasts.
Can male breast reduction surgery be done twice for puffy nipples?
- For best results, the surgery can be performed twice. This is usually done if there are still excess fat and tissues left on your breasts. During your follow-up appointment, Dr Turner will assess your breast condition to determine the need for another surgery.
Is male breast reduction surgery for puffy nipples painful?
- You will receive anaesthesia during the procedure so you will feel less discomfort. After the surgery, the effects will wear off so you might experience some pain and discomfort. This can be easily managed by taking pain medications prescribed by your surgeon.
Always Do Your Research
- Download a Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment
BOOK A PHONE CALL FOR MORE INFO
- To find out more information about surgery you can book a FREE 15 minute phone conversation with our Patient Care team – BOOK A CALENDLY CALL
Contact us or call on 1300 437 758 to arrange your surgeon consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information:[email protected].