A mini boob job or mini breast augmentation is a cosmetic plastic surgery that uses a smaller sized implant to enhance the shape and appearance of your breasts and cleavage. It is the most common among athletes and patients who have lean, slender and petite bodies. Dr Scott Turner is a breast surgery expert and Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Newcastle and Sydney NSW.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turners’s Breast Augmentation Surgery Guide
Rise of the Mini Boob Job
For years now a misconception has clouded the minds of many women around the world – the misconception that breast implants are only meant to give you a heavier, more voluptuous look. While many implants do help achieve this particular figure – the result depends entirely upon what YOU want.
We understand that a large cleavage doesn’t always suit a petite frame, and is often not preferred by naturally lean, athletic women. But we’re here to help you achieve your best self. Breast implants can help you achieve a subtle, curvy figure without looking over dramatic or ‘fake’. If you’re a petite woman looking for just the right amount of curves – the Mini Boob Job is the perfect solution for you!
What exactly is a Mini Boob Job?
There was a time when the term breast augmentation surgery was synonymous with going back home with much larger and heavier boobs. However, we have now started noticing a great shift in interest amongst women. Many of our patients now prefer a more natural look, rather than going over the top with something that looks unreal. The trend now points in the direction of implants that are significantly smaller than the ones we’ve used in the past.
Thus the ‘Mini Boob Job’ or the ‘Mini Breast Augmentation’ came into being for those who prefer an au naturel look, but a noticeable improvement in overall body shape and aesthetics.
Mini Boob Job Before and After Photos – Real Results
How does the Mini Boob Job differ from regular Breast Augmentation Surgeries?
During standard breast augmentation surgeries, the size of implants that Dr Turner uses is usually between 250-400 cc. The size of implants that he uses for a Mini Boob Job however is always less than 275 cc, and ranges between 105-275 cc depending upon your personal preference and body type.
The surgery is very similar to standard breast augmentation procedures. The difference lies in three main areas:
- The size of the implant
- The type of the implant used
- The pocket size, or the final positioning of the smaller implant
We don’t usually recommend mini boob jobs to just about everyone because they may not make a very prominent difference on some body types. With leaner, more petite frames,however, smaller implants can create just the right effect. While some women may prefer implants that result in larger, more prominent curves – others may want the ‘less is more’ impact with a smaller cleavage that fits a smaller frame.
Why would anyone want smaller breasts even after surgery?
We’ve seen that this particular procedure appeals more to those with a leaner, or a more petite body frame. You’ll notice that professional athletes, for instance, have a relatively small physique and therefore, a natural-looking breast enhancement suits their lifestyle, routine and their bodies in general.
This surgery offers added volume and better shape in a subtle yet impactful manner without dramatically transforming the body. The Mini Boob Job may be ideal for you if you have a small amount of natural glandular tissue in your breast which doesn’t offer the right shape or volume that you need. Smaller implants work best in this situation because for standard breast augmentation surgeries, a certain amount of natural tissue needs to be present to prevent failure of the surgery through stretching, rippling or ‘bottoming out’ of the implants.
It is common knowledge that the larger the size of the implant, the greater is the risk of premature sagging or ‘bottoming out’ of the prosthesis. Keeping this information in view, if you have a petite frame, then smaller implants can definitely offer you better results.
Can a Mini Boob Job give me natural-looking breasts?
We’ve said that the Mini Boob Job surgery appeals more to women with a leaner physique, but that’s not the limit procedure. It can give just about anyone a better volume and a better shape in the form of very natural-looking breasts.
We try our best to make sure that you’re prepared for the outcome of every surgery. Prior to the procedure, during the consultation session, we’ll take into consideration your expectations from the surgery, your general body type, height, weight, overall condition of the skin, and the amount of natural glandular breast tissue present. We’ll then tell you what type and size of implant is best suited for you, based on your personal preference as well as your body type.
If you want nothing but the best, most flawless results from your breast augmentation, it is important to choose a surgeon with the right qualifications and experience. A professional, licensed plastic surgeon can help you choose the right implant and the right size that will work best for you.
Why are smaller breast implants more suitable for certain women?
You must have heard the popular saying ‘less is more’ which applies aptly to the Mini Boob Job surgery. It’s perfectly alright to wonder why anyone would want to go under the knife to only end up with small breasts – but you’ll be surprised to know that less volume on the chest actually appeals to women with a certain body type.
Patients who have undergone breast reduction procedures can tell you about the countless social concerns, pains and physical inconveniences that too much breast weight can bring. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes – and while many women may prefer larger, more voluminous boobs, others like them be more subtle and natural-looking.
Let’s consider an example. A professional athlete’s body is already quite lean from top to bottom and therefore large implants on this frame may not be practical, or suitable for her lifestyle/routine. This is why women with a petite body frame tend to opt for smaller implants that give just the right amount of volume to the breasts, as well as a subtle, but an enhanced shape that looks and feels great!
Benefits of a mini boob job
There are many benefits associated with the surgery, which include:
- You can have fuller looking breasts without undergoing noticeable enlargement of your breasts
- It creates a more subtle and natural-looking breast
- Can reduce the length of your post operative recovery
- May reduce sagging of the breasts area a result of increased breast size in comparison to larger implants
Am I a good candidate for Mini Breast augmentation?
- Your body frame is small and you want to slightly increase your breast size
- You want a subtle looking enlargement of your breast
- You seek a natural-looking breast
- You feel insecure about yourself because of the size of your breast
- You have realistic goals from the procedure
- You are physically and mentally healthy
- You are ready to give up smoking
- You belong to a healthy weight range
Breast implants types, sizes and their placement
Breast implants are a prosthesis used in cosmetic plastic surgery to change the size, shape, and contours of your breast. There are many different breast implant options.
There are different implant fillings like saline and silicone. Implants can also differ based on a shape, round or anatomical (tear drop), and texture- smooth, textured or polyurethane breast implants.
The following factors will determine the optimal implant placement site for each patient:
- The size of your breast and availability of breast and fat tissues
- Your overall health condition
- Implant size and type
- Position of the pocket
- Your goals from the surgery
Smaller Breast Implants
The size of a breast implant ranges from 100cc to 1200cc. For a patient with a smaller frame, even an implant of 250cc can be considered as big. For a mini breast augmentation, smaller implants ranging from size 105-250cc can provide you with a natural-looking result.
The optimal size of the breast implant will depend on several factors including:
- Your physique
- Amount of natural breast tissue
- Condition of your breast
- Distance between the chest and rib cage
- Level of drooping
- Implant placement site
Implant position or placement
There are three primary sites where the implants can be placed:
- Dual plane
Dr Turner most commonly does dual plane implants.
Your Mini Breast Augmentation journey
Consultation is the first phase of your mini breast augmentation journey, you will have an in-depth discussion with Dr Turner about the steps involved and you’ll be examined if you’re a good candidate to undergo the procedure. The potential risks and complications of the procedure and steps that will be taken to lower these risks will also be covered during this consultation.
The quality of your breast skin, adequacy of breast volume, the position of your nipple and routine pre-op photographs and measurements of your chest wall and breasts will be taken during this period. Dr. Turner will help choose the best implant according to your goals and your physique, through the help of a breast implant placement sizing system or 3D computer imaging.
Before undergoing surgery, you should provide a detailed medical history and discuss your desired goals from the procedure. You should be honest as this can help you in achieving your best outcome. Feel free to ask Dr Turner as many questions s you like during this process.
It is suggested that you quit smoking for a few weeks before and after the surgery as it can hamper the result. Aspirin and other medication that may increase the chances of bleeding will also need to be stopped before surgery.
You’ll also be provided with a detailed and full-inclusive estimate for the surgery, which will include the Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee, and hospital fees.
The procedure is similar to a traditional augmentation surgery with the differences being only in size. Dr. Turner will make every effort to ensure that there is minimal scarring from the surgery. The location of the incisions will depend on your anatomy, goals, and the type of implant you choose. During the surgery, a space of pocket is created under your breast. The implant will be placed either behind or in front of your chest muscle, depending on your discussion with Dr Turner. These incision sites are then closed using dissolvable sutures.
The surgery can last under an hour and you can go home on the day of surgery itself after a few hours of monitoring.
The different steps of the procedure include:
Either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia will be administered to ensure that you’re comfortable during the procedure. Dr. Turner will recommend the best anesthetic option best for you.
B. Making the incision
The type of incision to be made will depend on the shape of your breasts, the type of implant, and your desired outcome. The scarring associated with a mini boob job is considerably less when compared to more invasive breast surgeries. However, to minimize visible scarring post-operation, incisions will be made as inconspicuous as possible.
C. Insertion and placement of the breast implant
Through the incision, the breast implant of your desired size ranging from 105-275 cc is inserted into a pocket through the pre-decided placement method. Following the placement of the implant, the pocket is sealed through the help of absorbable sutures.
D. Closing the incisions
The incisions are closed with the help of layered sutures in the breast tissue. The incision line will gradually fade over time.
E. Post-Op recovery
You’ll be able to view the results of the mini boob job soon after surgery. There will be soreness and tenderness around the incision site. You’ll also have some swelling and bruising around your breast area, which will fade a few weeks following the surgery. You will be prescribed medications to control these symptoms. You’ll be kept at the hospitals for a few hours for monitoring purposes only after the completion of which you will be allowed to leave the hospital.
3. Recovery after Mini Boob Job
The recovery period for mini breast augmentation is similar to that of traditional breast augmentation. The recovery is usually brief but is essential in achieving the best results from the surgery. Light physical activities can be done a day after surgery.
You will feel some discomfort and pain during the recovery period which may last a few weeks. It is advised that you take a week off from your job, as it will be most painful during this time so help your body recover during this period. You should not attempt any stressful activities and avoid exercising your chest for about a month following the surgery. Light jogging can be resumed three weeks after surgery. Repetitive movement of the arm should be avoided for the first four weeks as it may dislodge the implant. Smoking should be abstained for at least 3 weeks post-surgery as avoiding as smoking has been shown to cause undesirable thick scars.
You will be given a post-operative surgical bra that you should wear for the first six weeks. This surgical bra keeps your implants in place as well as reduces swelling and promotes wound healing. Anti-pain medications and prophylactic medications will be prescribed to you by Dr. Turner to make the recovery period comfortable.
Do’s and don’ts after a Mini Boob Job
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery
- Get plenty of rest for the first few days
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes
- Wear the compression garment
- Sleep on your back
- Eat healthy foods
- Take medications as prescribed
- Sleep on your stomach or your side
- Consume alcohol
- Any strenuous exercises or heavy lifting
- Wear an underwire bra
Price of a Mini Boob Job in Sydney or Newcastle
How much does a small boob job cost?
- The cost of a small boob job varies based on type of implant, type of hospital and experience of your surgeon. The total cost will include the cost of implants, the surgeon’s fee, the assistant’s fee and the anaesthetist’s fee. You will not be eligible for a Medicare rebate as this is surgery is nearly always done purely for cosmetic reasons. A detailed estimate will be provided to you during the consultation session with Dr. Turner.
- Dr Turner has a $10,990 package price for a standard Breast Augmentation
Is breast augmentation worth it?
Realself patient surveys indicate that 98% of Breast Augmentation patients felt the surgery was worth it.
Risks and complications of a Mini Boob Job
A mini boob job is a relatively safe surgery but it is not risk-free. Like every surgical procedure, it is also associated with potential risks and complications. Dr Turner will cover these risks and complications of mini boob job in detail during the consultation
FAQs about a mini boob job
What is a mini breast augmentation?
- Mini breast augmentation or a mini boob job is a cosmetic plastic surgery that uses a smaller sized implant to enhance the shape and appearance of your breasts and cleavage. It is the most common choice of breast augmentation among athletes and women who have slender bodies. In this type of augmentation, a breast implant of size 105-275 cc is used.
What size is considered a small breast implant?
- Generally, breast implants from sizes 100-250cc are considered small breast implants. But, in the case of a woman with an extremely slender frame, even a 250cc breast implant can be considered as big.
Are small implants safer?
- In general, smaller sized implants aren’t safer than larger sized implants as the size doesn’t change the risks involved in breast augmentation.
How many cc’s are in a cup size?
- There is about 130-150cc in a cup size.
Why Small breasts are better than large ones?
- A larger breast is usually associated with physical complaints like back pain, neck and shoulder pain, development of rashes under the breast apart from this a larger breast may also provide a hindrance in your everyday activity affecting your quality of life. With time, a larger breast will show a greater level of shagging than shown by a smaller breast. So, a small breast is better than a large breast.
Do breast implants feel different to touch?
- Silicone-based breast implants imitate the touch of natural breasts whereas saline-based implants do not feel as natural as silicone implants.
Do breast implants look smaller at first?
- Right after the procedure, patients may experience an inflammation that causes swelling of the tissues as well as the tightening of the chest muscles. This constriction of the tissue makes the implants look smaller right after surgery.
How long do breast implants last?
- On average, saline or silicone implants lasts anywhere between 10-20 years. You may get them removed earlier if you have any cosmetic concerns or any complications show up.
What is the most common breast implant size?
- The most common breast implant size is between 350-400cc.
Am I too young or too old for a mini boob job?
- For cosmetic enlargement of the breast, your breast must be fully developed so you must be at least 18 years of age. However, there is no age restriction to undergo a mini boob job. You can undergo the surgery at any stage of your life if you think you can benefit from this procedure.
The results obtained from the surgery are subjected to change following surgery, so it is recommended that you delay the surgery till after childbirth.
What to wear to mini boob job surgery?
- You should wear loose-fitting and comfortable clothes to a breast augmentation surgery like a button-up top and elastic waist pants.
Medical References for Mini Boob Job
- Breast Implant Choices in Sydney & Newcastle | Dr Turner Plastic Surgeon
- Why a “Mini Boob Job” Could Be Right for Slender Women (aestheticplasticsurg.org)
- Breast implants and post op size – How many cc’s is one cup size? (realself.com)
- Why I Got a Mini Boob Job (and What the Process Was Like!) — Rrayyme (Influencer & Celebrity)
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website pages and Blogs to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a medical referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Turner
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simpler clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about Dr Turner’s pricing, medical finance & payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Scott Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.