Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty Surgery can help remove excess abdominal skin, repair split tummy muscles and improve your body contour. Dr Scott Turner is an Abdominoplasty expert and Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Newcastle and Sydney NSW. Here are his answers to the common Tummy Tuck FAQs
CLICK to Download Dr Turner’s Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery Guide
Tummy Tuck FAQs – General
What are the different types of a tummy tuck?
- The following are some of the different types of a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty:
- Mini tummy tuck – usually without muscle repair – skin only excision
- Full tummy tuck – usually with a Split tummy Muscle repair
- Extended tummy tuck – longer scar than a full tummy tuck – to remove excess skin from the sides
- Other Abdominoplasties – FDL Abdominoplasty, 360 Abdo or Belt Lipectomy,
Is tummy tuck a major surgery?
- Yes it is regarded as major surgery. The procedure removes excess skin from the abdomen and uses general anaesthesia in a hospital.
Will I need a tummy tuck after weight loss?
- If your weight loss resulted in excess skin around your lower stomach, a tummy tuck can be a good option for you. The procedure can help improve your abdominal contour by removing excess skin.
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck FAQs
Does a tummy tuck get rid of stretch marks?
- A tummy tuck can only remove stretch marks located on the excised skin. Typically this is the stretch marked skin below the below button and above the pubis.
Does a tummy tuck lift your pubic area?
- A tummy tuck does not lift your pubic area since it is designed to contour the belly region. In some cases, the procedure can improve the general appearance of your mons or pubic region (FUPA) with additional liposuction.
Can a tummy tuck fix diastasis recti (split tummy muscles)?
- Yes, the full tummy tuck procedure can help fix partial or complete separation of the abdominal muscles medically known as Diastasis Recti.
Can a tummy tuck reverse diabetes?
- No, the procedure cannot reverse diabetes.
Does a tummy tuck help the pelvic floor?
- Yes, the procedure helps tighten the soft tissues supporting the pelvic floor, bladder, and urethra. This in turn prevents bladder leakage.
Will a tummy tuck help with prolapse?
- Yes, it can have beneficial effects on prolapsed organs. However, surgery is the best option for this medical condition.
Suitability – Qualifying for Tummy Tuck FAQs
Do I have enough skin for a tummy tuck?
- Your surgeon will determine if you have enough skin for the procedure. Inadequate skin can lead to inappropriately high scar in the treatment area.
Do you need to lose weight before a tummy tuck?
- Before undergoing a tummy tuck, you should be at or near your ideal weight. The reason behind this is that significant weight fluctuations after the procedure can affect the results of a tummy tuck.
How close to the goal weight for a tummy tuck?
- It is recommended to be at least 10-15 pounds from your goal weight to be considered an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. This ensures optimal results as gaining or losing a significant amount of weight can affect the results of the procedure.
How soon after pregnancy can you get a tummy tuck?
- It is best if you wait 6-12 months after childbirth before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure. This allows your body to heal, your weight to stabilize, and your hormone levels to return to normal.
What is the maximum weight for a tummy tuck?
- You should be at least 5 to 10 kg from your ideal weight before having a tummy tuck.
Can I have a tummy tuck after a C section?
- Tummy tuck after C section is perfectly safe. However, you should wait for 6-12 months after your C section before undergoing a tummy tuck.
Preparing for Tummy Tuck FAQs
What to do before tummy tuck surgery?
- To ensure optimal results and prevent complications:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation.
- Stop taking medications that can increase your risk of bleeding or other complications.
- Stop smoking.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol.
- Stay fit as possible.
What to pack for tummy tuck surgery?
- To prepare for a tummy tuck surgery, you must prepare the following:
- Extra clothes
- ID and wallet
- Other essential things
- Phone (w/ charger)
Click here for more information.
Types of Tummy Tuck FAQs
What kind of tummy tuck do I need?
- You should choose the type of tummy tuck that will help you achieve the results that you want. In addition, it should be based on your body type and skin condition. You can discuss this with your surgeon during your consultation.
What is a full tummy tuck?
- A full tummy tuck tightens the skin and muscles over the entire abdominal area (above and below the belly button). It repairs separated muscles in the mid and upper abdomen and liposuction may be used to remove excess fat over the full abdominal region.
What is a mini tummy tuck?
- A mini tummy tuck flattens and tightens the skin below the belly button. It doesn’t address any loose skin or separated muscles in the mid and upper abdomen.
What’s a reverse tummy tuck?
- A reverse tummy tuck is a procedure that removes loose skin on the upper torso only.
What is a tummy tuck revision?
- Tummy tuck revision is the general term for a secondary abdominoplasty. It can involve a repeat tummy tuck procedure or some minor revisions.
What is an extended tummy tuck?
- This procedure is a standard abdominoplasty with the addition of recontouring of the hips, flanks, and lateral thigh. If your flanks have excess fat but not significant excess skin, liposuction may be performed.
What is an FDL tummy tuck?
- The FDL tummy tuck is an advanced version of a classical abdominoplasty, better known as a full tummy tuck. This procedure is recommended for patients who have experienced significant weight loss and involves tightening the skin horizontally and vertically to achieve a firmer and flatter stomach.
Tummy Tuck Surgery FAQs
How long is a tummy tuck surgery?
- Depending on the type of tummy tuck, the procedure can take 1-5 hours to complete.
How many hours does a tummy tuck take?
- It usually takes 1-5 hours.
How many sizes do you lose with a tummy tuck?
- Most patients lose 2-3 pant sizes. Patients with more loose skin will experience greater changes.
How much skin can be removed in a tummy tuck?
- You can lose 1 to 6 kg of excess skin and tissues.
How much weight do you lose with a tummy tuck?
- You can expect to lose around 1 to 6 kg after the procedure.
What hurts worse c section or tummy tuck?
- C section hurts more than a tummy tuck because it goes deeper into the abdominal cavity.
Recovery After Tummy Tuck FAQs
How painful is a tummy tuck recovery?
- You may experience mild to moderate pain during your recovery period.
How long to recover from a mini tummy tuck?
- You need 2 weeks to recover from this procedure.
How do I sleep after a tummy tuck?
- You should sleep on your back for the first 3 weeks after your operation.
How long for the tummy tuck incision to heal?
- The incisions take 3-4 weeks to heal.
How to stand up straight after a tummy tuck?
- You might find standing up straight uncomfortable for the first couple of weeks.
How bad is the pain after a tummy tuck?
- Mild to moderate pain can be experienced within 2 months of recovery.
How long after a tummy tuck can you stand up straight?
- It will take 2-4 weeks before you can sit up straight again.
Can you sleep on your side after a tummy tuck?
- You can sleep on your side after 3 weeks. This allows the operated area to heal.
How long after tummy tuck do you wear a compression garment?
- You need to wear a compression garment for 4-6 weeks.
How long do tummy tuck scars take to fade?
- It may take years before your scars fully heal and fade.
How long do you wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
- You need to wear a compression garment 4-6 weeks after the procedure.
How long does a tummy tuck take to heal?
- Most patients will begin to feel normal after 6-8 weeks.
How long does numbness last after a tummy tuck?
- The numbness may last for weeks to months.
How long off work for a tummy tuck?
- Depending on the type of job, you need to take 2-6 weeks off from work.
How long after a tummy tuck can I do sit-ups?
- You can engage in sit-ups after 12 weeks.
How long do I wear a bandage after a tummy tuck?
- You will need to wear your garments for as long as possible – around 4 to 6 weeks.
Can I fly after a tummy tuck?
- You can fly within 2-4 weeks after the surgery.
How tight should the post op garment be after a tummy tuck?
- It should be snug fit but not too tight.
How do I get out of bed after a tummy tuck?
- To get out of bed after the procedure:
- Hug your pillows.
- Roll onto your side.
- Dangle your feet over the edge of your bed.
- Use your elbows to raise your upper body.
- Use your legs to pull yourself into a sitting position.
How to prevent seroma after a tummy tuck?
- A Seroma or fluid build can occur a few weeks after abdominoplasty. To prevent fluid buildup, your surgeon may place a drain that remains in place for a week or longer. Your seroma may need a small procedure to be drained
How to drain a seroma after a tummy tuck?
- To do this, your surgeon will insert a needle into the seroma (collection of fluid beneath the skin) and remove the fluid with a syringe. Seromas may return and your surgeon may need to drain them multiple times. In some cases, your surgeon may suggest removing the seroma entirely.
How to reduce scar tissue after a tummy tuck?
- To reduce scar tissue:
- Follow post-operative instructions.
- Avoid irritating products and clothing.
- Don’t suntan your scars.
- Keep your skin well moisturized.
- Start topical treatments.
- See your Dermal Clinician for scar minimisation treatments after the wound has healed
How to reduce swelling after a tummy tuck?
- To reduce swelling:
- Apply ice packs on the operated area.
- Exercise as advised by your surgeon.
- Take pain medications and anti-inflammatories as prescribed.
- Wear compression garments religiously.
When can I return to work after a tummy tuck?
- You can return to work in about 2-6 weeks.
When can I stop wearing a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
- You can stop wearing it after 6-8 weeks.
When can you have sex after a tummy tuck?
- You can resume sexual intercourse after 6-8 weeks.
When do you start driving after a tummy tuck?
- You can start driving again by the time that sitting up straight is not uncomfortable anymore.
When does tummy tuck pain go away?
- Pain associated with the procedure should go away after 3-4 weeks.
How long is the recovery time after a tummy tuck?
- The recovery after tummy tuck can take 1 to 3 months.
Longer Term Results of a Tummy Tuck
Can you get pregnant after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, the procedure won’t affect your ability to get pregnant.
Can I have a baby after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can have a baby – perhaps wait 6-12 months.
Does having a tummy tuck affect pregnancy?
- No, undergoing a tummy tuck won’t affect your ability to become pregnant or your future pregnancies.
Can you have a tummy tuck before getting pregnant?
- Yes. It won’t affect your ability to bear a child.
Does the fat come back after a tummy tuck?
- No, the eliminated fat cells won’t be able to return but you can still put on some weight in remaining fat cells.
Can you have 2 tummy tucks?
- It is possible to have 2 tummy tucks. However, the second one will be more complicated.
What happens if you gain weight after a tummy tuck?
- Significant weight gain can negatively affect the results of your tummy tuck.
Can you get a tummy tuck twice?
- A second tummy tuck is possible. However, it can be more complicated and will have heavier scarring than the first one.
Funding Your Tummy Tuck FAQs
Are tummy tucks covered by medicare?
- Medicare will help cover your tummy tuck costs if it is medically necessary and you meet their strict criteria. This is applied in cases where the procedure is used to address frequent rashes and irritation due to excess skin as a result of significant weight loss. See specific criteria for MBS Item Number 30177 or Item Numbers 30165, 30168, 30171, 30172 , 30176 or 30179
Is getting a tummy tuck worth it?
- Yes, Realself Patient Surveys suggest most patients (98%) are happy and satisfied with the results of their tummy tuck surgery.
Can you finance a tummy tuck?
- There are many options to fund and finance a payment plan for a tummy tuck such as :
- Medical Finance Companies like TLC, Medipay or MacCredit
- Personal Credit Cards or Personal Loans
- A pre-payment plan for a tummy tuck from your surgeon
Tummy Tuck FAQs about Concerns and Risks
Is a tummy tuck safe?
- Like any surgery, a tummy tuck has risks. These include bleeding, infection, and complications from anesthesia. But in general, this is procedure is regarded as being safe especially in the hands of a qualified plastic surgeon.
What causes necrosis after a tummy tuck?
- Death of skin & tissue (or necrosis) is usually the result of insufficient blood supply after surgery. This condition is common in smokers. Please don’t smoke!
What are dog ears of a tummy tuck?
- The term dog ears refer to the protruding skin or tissues at the extreme ends of a closed incision. In plastic surgery, this condition is seen in procedures that involve skin tightening and require elliptical incisions like a tummy tuck.
Do dog ears go away after a tummy tuck?
- This minor deformity can resolve on its own. Sometimes a scar revision may help.
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]