Choosing the Best Breast Implant Profile and Projection for your Breast Surgery
Choosing the right Breast Implant Profile and Projection is vital to achieve the best breast shape and contour with your Breast Augmentation Surgery. Dr Scott Turner is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney and Newcastle NSW and is an expert at Breast Augmentation using Implants. He mostly chooses to use Mentor implants and offers a wide range of Breast Implant choices.
As one of Sydney’s top breast augmentation surgeons, Dr Scott Turner can work with you to achieve the most attractive and natural-looking breasts possible. Some patients do prefer a more obvious looking implant or ‘fake breasts’ or you may prefer natural breast enhancement using your own fat or combining implants with a fat transfer for a hybrid breast augmentation
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turners’s Breast Augmentation Surgery Guide
What Is Breast Implant Profile and Projection?
The breast implant profile is a three-dimensional description of the implant protrusion (and volume) relative to the base diameter. Essentially, the profile contains the arrangement of the 3 dimensions of the implant, while the projection represents only one dimension. Breast Implant projection is the front to back distance of the implant.
What is Breast Implant Projection?
Implant projection is the linear measurement of the anterior-posterior dimension of an implant. It is a single, numerical dimension, whereas “profile” is a 3-dimensional descriptor of implant projection (and hence, volume) relative to its Base Diameter (BD). In essence, “profile” encompasses a permutation of all 3 implant dimensions, whereas projection represents only a single dimension
Why is Breast Implant Profile important?
The profile of a breast implant determines how far it will project forward from the chest. The level of projection achieved is determined by the width of the implant. In general, the smaller the base width of a breast implant, the farther it will project off the chest.
Making the correct choice for the precise breast implant can be challenging because of its many requirements. However, in the characteristics of the implant, the profile itself is often misunderstood. It is implied that the Implant profile that is the general shape of the implant is determined by three factors:
- Base diameter or width
Types of Breast Implant Profiles available from implant manufacturers
Popular Breast Implant manufacturers – Mentor, Motiva, Nagor, Surgiplas and Allergan etc – offer a range of profiles
1. Low Profile Implant
This is the type that has the base diameter that is widest and has the smallest projection. It looks flat from the side, but it can provide the breast with a natural appearance and moderate cleavage. Low-profile implants are best for women with a broader chest and Wide Gap In Between Both Breasts.
2. Moderate Profile Implant
Although there is a very small base diameter difference, more projection is provided by this implant than low profile implants. Hence, it is the gold standard for implant profiles because it helps the breasts look fuller and gives them a more natural look. It is a great selection for women with a moderate body structure and wider breasts.
3. Moderate Plus Profile
It is somewhere in between a moderate and high profile. It has a base diameter smaller than a moderate profile. It is excellent for ladies with a ribcage of average size and a wide breast but wants more projection.
4. High Profile Implant
It is a kind of implant that gives a large projection in comparison to the low profile and medium profile. It provides a more rounded shape due to the narrow diameter of the base hence it makes the upper pole of the breast more full. This type of implant is more suitable for women who are small and have a narrow chest and desire a very large breast.
5. Ultra-High & Very High Profile
These two profiles have a base diameter that is very narrow and also helps to give a more prominent enhanced look, and fullness for the breast.
However you should understand that the profile of the implant has no direct translation to its projection. The actual projection of the implant is related to the diameter of its base. Nonetheless, it should be noted that implant sizes define profile and projection.
Mentor Breast Implant Profiles
Mentor offers a full range of breast implant profiles including
- Moderate plus
- Moderate plus profile XTRA
- High Profile
- High profile XTRA
- Ultra High Profile
Motiva Breast Implant Profiles
Motiva also offers a wide range of breast implant profiles & projections including
Many Different Options to consider for your Breast Implants and Surgery
When choosing the right implant there are many breast implant options and surgery options to consider:
- Implant filling type – Saline or Silicone
- Implant size – measured in ml
- Implant texture– smooth or textured
- Implant shape – Round or Teardrop (Anatomical)
- Implant projection – low or high profile
- Placement of the breast implant – above the muscle, below the muscle or dual plane (Between the muscle)
- Incision site of the breast implant surgery – under breast IMF, Armpit or other incisions
For the best results consult a specialist plastic surgeon like Dr Scott Turner.
What factors should be taken into account when choosing Breast implant profile?
The most suitable implant profile must take into account your preferences and your anatomical reality. When choosing an implant profile, the following factors should be considered.
1. Your Chest Wall Width
Chest wall width varies in each patient and must be taken into account when choosing the implant profile. Women with wider chest walls often need wider implants for a more natural appearance, so more low-profile implants should be considered. Higher profile implants can cause too much space between the breasts, coupled with larger projection, can produce unnatural results. On the other hand, women with narrow chest walls are considering implanting low-profile implants, which may produce an undesirable wide appearance and/or very limited projection, leading to very disappointing results.
2. Your Breast Position
The type of breast implant profile needed is dependent on the natural position of your breast on the chest wall. For a naturally wider breast, lower profile implants may be recommended to maintain balance and a natural appearance. If you choose a high-profile implant, the breast may appear to “stick” to the breast unnaturally. If the breasts are very close, a higher profile implant may be recommended, because a lower profile implant will make the breast appear too wide or increase the front projection a little.
3. Amount Of Breast Tissue
The quantity of natural breast tissue you have plays a vital role while making a choice for the implant profile. When there is little normal breast tissue, implants with larger projections can better help you get the full size and cleavage you need, and if there is already a large amount of breast tissue, these same implants may produce excessive projection and exaggerated shapes.
4. Implant Shape And Size
Another important factor to be considered for the implant profile is shape and size. Just because protruding implants can be large or ultra-high, doesn’t mean they need to be both. For example, if a woman wants a sexy appearance with more cleavage, her implants may be considered oversized and super high-profile. However, depending on your other anatomical realities, large or even not very large implants, even with a medium profile, can produce the desired results.
Advantages Of Different Breast Implant Profiles
Each implant profile is designed to not only complement a patient’s breasts but also achieve their desired improvement.
Lower implant profiles are more suitable to achieve:
- fuller breasts side, also known as “side boobs”
- fuller upper portion of the breasts
- Softer breasts
Higher implant profiles are more suitable to achieve:
- Perkier breasts – more upper pole fullness
- Rounder breasts
- Firmer breasts
- A more improved look
- Can also lessen mild to moderate flabby
Sometimes, it’s not just about the size, the size of your implants will determine how large your breasts will be after surgery, but an implant profile will determine what your overall breast shape will be. Sometimes, picking a different profile yields better results than selecting a bigger size.
Selecting The Best Breast Implant Profile to suit you
Different profiles are more suitable for different body shapes and desired results. Dr. Turner will assist you with seeing how these profiles work with your body type and which profile can give you the look you need.
- Physical characteristics: As an extent of the breast augmentation session, your plastic surgeon, Dr. Turner, will measure your breast size in detail to customize the implant profile according to your body shape. The profile you want to choose will enhance your figure in a balanced and harmonious way, making your other characteristics look natural.
- Your ideal body image: you will be inquired specific questions by Dr. Turner to understand your breast augmentation needs. Looking for subtle changes? The effect is natural? A more complete and round appearance? Dr. Turner can use 3D imaging to preview the effects of various implant options and help you visualize the results of different implant options.
Your Breast Augmentation Goals & Desires
There are many decisions to make when planning breast augmentation, and breast implant profile is one of them. Fortunately, you’ll have expert guidance from Dr. Turner in making these choices. With his guidance, you can choose an implant profile that gives you just the look you want.
When you participate in a breast augmentation consultation, it is helpful to have a relatively specific goal. Share with Dr. Turner your expectations for breast size, projection, shape, cleavage, feel, proportions, and overall appearance. Choosing the implant profile that best suits you will be a delicate balance between these preferences and your body. Dr. Turner will help you make the best decision based on your goals and body type.
FAQS about Breast Implant Profile
How do I choose my breast implant profile?
- The whole look of the breast is influenced by the profile of the implant after breast augmentation. Hence for the overall appearance, it is necessary to choose the correct implant. If you choose a refined and natural appearance, a low-profile implant may be a good option. A moderate-profile implant can also be ideal for a natural look but has added projection and volume. If you want a fuller appearance, a high-profile implant may be a suitable option. It is important to discuss your goals and expected results during the consultation with Dr. Turner. In this way, you can get stunning and satisfactory results.
What do low-profile breast implants mean?
- Low profile Implants have the widest appearance and deliver minimal projection. They are relatively flat in appearance but often provide more cleavage than higher profile implants. Low-profile implants are often ideal for women with wider chests who seek a more natural end result.
Can ultra-high-profile implants look natural?
- Although ultra-high profile breast implants have a unique appearance, the appearance may be natural depending on factors such as the size of the implant and your personal body shape. Physical factors, including your structure, skin elasticity, the amount of existing breast tissue, and your cosmetic goals, will ultimately determine the choice of breast implant that suits you.
Are low-profile implants good?
- Though Implants with a low profile is the widest and offer minimal projection, they have a somewhat flatter look. They also provide more cleavage than higher profile implants. For women with wider chests and looking for a more natural end result, low-profile implants are often ideal.
What is the most common profile for breast implants?
- The most common profile used in breast implants is moderate Profile.it is the standard implant used for the majority of breast augmentation patients.it appears more normal and teardrop shape, as the saline or silicone falls to the bottom in the upright position.
What is the difference between low profile and high profile implants?
- The difference is that Low profile Implant has the widest and does deliver the smallest protrusion. They are relatively flat in appearance, but generally provide more cleavage than higher profile implants, while the high profile type provides the most bulge, resulting in the most dramatic results (fuller and rounder breasts).
Should Your Age Determine Your Breast Implant Profile?
- While many women give their priority on the choice of desired cup size for the breast enlargement procedure, but Dr. Turner knows it’s equally important to consider profile when selecting implants. In general, there is a trend among surgeons and patients to select higher profile implants for younger women while preferring a subtler look for older patients.
Can you get high-profile saline implants?
- You will have a more rounded appearance and more filling in the upper portion of the breast with a high-profile saline implant on your frame. This effect creates the most bubbly, prominent cleavage of the various profile options and is ideal for small women who have a very narrow chest wall.
Download the Mentor Sizing Matrix
For more information
- Read Dr Turner’s Breast Implant options page
- Read Dr Turner’s Blog on Round vs Teardrop Implants
- See Breast Augmentation Before and After photo pages
- Read Dr Turner Breast Augmentation Surgery page
Medical References and Further Reading
- Making Sense of Implant “Profile” in Breast Augmentation – US National Library of Medicine
- All about breast implant profiles – ASPS Blog
- Breast Implant Profiles – Memorial Plastic Surgery
- Selecting the Right Implant Profile – Stephen Bresnick, M.D. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Blog
- Choosing Your Breast Implant Profile – Arizona Center for Breast Surgery Blog
- What Is the Standard Volume to Increase a Cup Size for Breast Augmentation Surgery? A Novel Three-Dimensional Computed Tomographic Approach – PubMed.gov
- When the Bandages Come Off: Settling Into Your Breast Implants – Dr. Kirby’s Blog – Kirby’s Plastic Surgery.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Breast Augmentation – Dr. Kara Plastic Surgery
- Should Your Age Determine Your Breast Implant Profile? – Campanile Plastic Surgery Blog
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures. He is a committed board member of ASAPS – Australia Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]