Designer Vagina Surgery – Who Needs It and How It’s Done
A designer vagina is an eye-catching, marketing term for cosmetic procedures that are performed to improve the appearance of the vulva (the outer part of the female genitals) and vagina. Procedures that are performed as part of the Designer Vagina surgery can include vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, and even clitoral hood reduction.
If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your lady parts due to ageing or childbirth or you are experiencing physical discomforts due to excess skin folds, you may consider a procedure to improve your confidence or quality of life.
Dr Scott Turner is one of the few specialist plastic surgeons that is an expert in Labiaplasty. It is one of his main procedures. He has done hundreds of Labiaplasty procedures and you can ask to see the confidential gallery of his many patient photos – before and after results.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Labiaplasty Surgery Guide
Causes of Abnormal-Looking Vaginal Structures
Several factors can lead to the development of abnormal vaginal structures, such as:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Significant weight changes
Benefits of a Designer Vagina Procedure
This surgical procedure offers the following benefits:
- Improved aesthetics
- Reduced physical discomforts (e.g. pain during sex, or vaginal irritation due to large vaginal folds)
- Increased self-esteem or self-confidence
- Youthful appearance of the genitals
Potential Candidates for a Designer Vagina Procedure
The surgery is not for everyone. During your consultation, Dr Turner will conduct a detailed assessment of your overall health condition and expectations to determine if a designer vagina procedure is right for you.
In general, you are a good candidate if:
- You experience irritation and other discomforts especially when wearing tight clothes
- You are not satisfied with the appearance of your intimate area
- You are experiencing pain during sex
- You don’t have a blood disorder
- You don’t have plans on getting pregnant after the surgery
- You don’t smoke
- You have extra skin and folds in your intimate area
- You are in good physical and mental health
- You have realistic expectations and a positive outlook
Watch Dr Turner’s video on Labiaplasty Surgery
Characteristics of a Designer Vagina
A designer vagina has the following characteristics:
- A shortened labia minora (inner folds), resulting in a neater external appearance
- A tightened vaginal cavity, resulting in increased sensitivity
The Labiaplasty Procedure
Also known as labial rejuvenation, this surgical procedure is performed to reduce the size of the flaps of skin on either side of the vaginal opening called labia minora. By reducing these skin folds, we can eliminate pain during sexual intercourse and other physical discomforts such as vaginal irritation. This, in turn, allows you to perform normal day-to-day activities.
Recovery Time for a Designer Vagina Procedure
During the first 48 to 72 hours of the recovery period, you may experience some light bleeding, but this is an expected clinical outcome. Healing of the surgical incisions and vaginal structures usually takes 6 weeks. It is important to keep in mind that the recovery time may vary from patient to patient.
Risks and Complications of a Designer Vagina Procedure
Like any other surgery, a designer vagina procedure also has potential risks and complications. These include the following:
- Changes in vaginal sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Intense itching
- Severe pain, bruising, or swelling
- Too much tissue or not enough tissue is removed
- Unfavourable scarring
- Unusual or foul-smelling discharge
- Wound opening
If you experience any of these signs and symptoms, make sure to consult with Dr Turner immediately for further evaluation and management.
Watch the Labiaplasty Animated Video
Designer Vagina Procedure Aftercare
To ensure optimal results, you should follow the aftercare instructions that will be provided by your medical team. In general, you will need to do the following after your surgery:
- Always maintain good hygiene
- Apply a cold compress over the operated area to minimise pain and discomfort
- Arrange for someone to help you with the house chores
- Avoid exercise, strenuous activity, or heavy lifting for 4 weeks
- Avoid sexual intercourse for 6-12 weeks
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages
- Get plenty of rest to allow your surgical wounds to heal
- Perform meticulous care of your surgical incisions
- Seek medical help immediately if you experience any unusual signs and symptoms
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water and fluids
- Stay patient and maintain a positive outlook
- Take the prescribed pain medication
- Use absorbable pads
FAQs about Designer Vagina Surgery
How much is a designer vagina in Australia?
The cost of the procedure may vary and will depend on the following factors:
- Medical tests
- The extent of the surgery
- The fee of the hospital or medical facility
- The fee of the surgeon
- The number of surgical procedures needed to achieve your desired results
- Please contact the clinic for an estimate
What is a designer vaginal rejuvenation?
- A designer vaginal rejuvenation is a combination of surgical procedures designed to tighten both the internal muscles of the vagina and the perineum (the opening of the vagina and the anus). This can improve the overall aspect of the genital area.
Does labiaplasty make you tighter?
- During the Labiaplasty procedure, Dr Turner will trim the excess flaps of skin on either side of the vaginal opening called labia minora. Excessively large labial folds usually cause pain and discomfort due to friction. By removing the excess flaps, the procedure improves the aspect of the area and eliminates pain during sexual intercourse and other physical discomforts.
What is a non-surgical designer vagina?
- This is also a term for an umbrella of cosmetic procedures that are performed to improve the appearance of the vulva (the outer part of the female genitals) and vagina. However, they are not invasive and require little to no downtime. These include laser treatments, radiofrequency treatments, and injectable fillers. Dr Turner does NOT perform these treatments.
Does hymenoplasty make you tighter?
- Hymenoplasty is a surgical procedure that repairs the hymen, the membrane that partially covers the vagina. This can help tighten the vaginal structures. During the procedure, local anaesthesia is used to minimise discomfort. Once the anaesthesia has taken effect, your surgeon will cut away any torn skin around the edges of the hymen. The remaining tissue will be then stitched together to restore the normal size and shape of the hymen. Dr Turner does NOT perform this procedure.
Does Medicare cover vaginal tightening?
- In most cases, Medicare will not cover non-therapeutic cosmetic surgery and non-therapeutic plastic surgery procedures. This means that if you want to undergo vaginal tightening procedures because you are not satisfied with the appearance of your vaginal structures, the costs associated with the procedure will not be covered by insurance. However, if you meet the strict criteria for a Labiaplasty Medical Item number, then medicare or your insurance may cover some of the costs.
Is a labiaplasty painful?
- You will not experience any discomfort during the procedure since you will be under a general anaesthesia. Any discomfort that you may feel after the procedure can be easily managed with pain medications.
Will I lose feeling if I have a labiaplasty?
- After the procedure, you will likely feel numbness in your genitals. However, this is only temporary and should disappear after a few days. Once your surgical incisions have completely healed, you will likely experience an improvement in sexual sensation because the excess skin folds are removed from your labia minora.
How long after labiaplasty can you wear jeans?
- To prevent further injury to the incision sites, you will need to avoid wearing jeans and tight undergarments or clothing for 6-8 weeks. Make sure to wear loose-fitting clothes during your recovery period.
How long does it take for labiaplasty stitches to dissolve?
- The procedure entails the use of dissolvable stitches to reposition the vaginal structures and close the incision sites. The stitches usually dissolve on their own after 3-4 weeks.
Will there be much bleeding after a designer vagina procedure?
- Some bleeding that can last for a few days to a week can be expected after the procedure. As you recover, make sure to monitor for any signs of uncontrolled bleeding and seek medical help immediately if that happens.
How do I wash my labia area after a designer vagina procedure?
- To properly wash your labia, use lukewarm water only and gently wipe from your vaginal area towards your anal area. This prevents the transfer of microorganisms from your anus to your genitals.
How long do the results of a designer vagina procedure last?
- The results of the procedure are long-lasting. However, if you get pregnant again in the future, the results may be affected. This is the reason why the procedure is recommended for those who had children and don’t plan to get pregnant again in the future.
How do I sit after a designer vagina procedure?
- In the first month after the procedure, you will need to avoid putting any pressure or tension on the surgical incisions. It is recommended that you use a donut ring pillow to relieve pressure at the surgical site when you sit down.
How to prevent constipation after a designer vagina procedure?
- After the procedure, it is highly recommended that you avoid activities that can cause straining as they can cause further injury to the incision sites. In addition, you should also prevent getting constipated as this can lead to straining. To avoid this problem, you should start with a liquid diet and gradually shift to your normal diet. You should also drink lots of water and fluids as you recover. Dr Turner might also prescribe a stool softener to prevent constipation.
What is the normal vaginal discharge after a designer vagina procedure?
- Bleeding and spotting are expected clinical outcomes in the first 8 weeks following your surgery. The normal vaginal discharge should be brownish-yellow in the first 4-6 weeks. During this time, you should watch out for uncontrolled bleeding and pus draining from the incision sites.
For more information about Designer Vagina procedures
- Read Dr Turner’s procedure page on Labiasplasty Surgery
- Read Dr Turner’s procedure page on Clitoral Hood Reduction Surgery
- Read Dr Turner’s procedure page on Body Surgery
- Read Dr Turner’s blog post Post-Pregnancy Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Read Dr Turner’s blog post Will Medicare Cover My Labiaplasty Surgery?
About Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures. He is a committed board member of ASAPS – Australia Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download a Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment
BOOK A PHONE CALL FOR MORE INFO
- To find out more information about surgery you can book a FREE 15 minute phone conversation with our Patient Care team – BOOK A CALENDLY CALL
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your surgeon consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]