Today Medicare rebates do not cover the full cost of providing you with medical care. This is because the rate at which successive governments have indexed the Medicare Schedule fees has been substantially lower than increases in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and average weekly earnings.
The reality is that Medicare rebates do not cover the cost of providing you with a safe and high quality service. The fees charged by this practice have to cover all of our practice costs including employing receptionists and practice nurses, and meeting our operating expenses such as rent, medical equipment, electricity, computers and insurance.
The Government has announced it will not be indexing the Medicare Schedule fees this year. Medicare rebates have been frozen since 1 November 2012 with no plans to increase fees in the foreseeable future.
It is not possible for this practice to meet our running costs each year without increasing our fees. The Medicare rebate freeze means that this practice is no longer able to bulk bill all of our patients. Our medical fees are in accordance with the guidelines set out by the Australian Medical Association (AMA).
• $225 (Rebate $72.25 with referral)
• If biopsy is performed – an additional fee $100 will be applied
Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Estimate of costs for skin cancer excision can be obtained from our reception staff
Example of typical costs
Simple excision of skin lesion
• Fee $600-700 (Medicare rebate $150-$250)
Complex excision of skin lesion and flap / graft repair
• Fee $1500 (Medicare rebate of $450-$550)
• We are happy to reduce surgical fee for pensioners so there is a maximal fixed out of pocket of $500 for the surgeon fees.
• We do not offer ‘No Gap’ cover
• If procedure is performed in hospital, you must check with your health fund if you are covered for the item numbers outlined in your quote prior to any surgical procedure. Some health funds have limited cover for some of the Plastic Surgery Medicare item numbers.
• Most anaesthetists will have a gap of between $200-300 for procedures performed in hospital and will invoice you separately from Dr Turner.