Medical Fees for Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Initial Medical Consultation for Skin Cancer
• $225 (Rebate $72.25 with referral)
• If a biopsy is performed – an additional fee $100 will be applied
Skin Cancer Reconstruction Fees
Estimate of costs for skin cancer excision can be obtained from our reception staff
An Example of typical costs
Simple excision of skin lesion
• Fee $600-700 (Medicare rebate $150-$250)
Complex excision of skin lesion and flap/skin graft reconstruction
• Fee $1500 (Medicare rebate of $450-$550)
• We are happy to minimize the surgical fee for pensioners so there is a maximal fixed out of pocket of $500 for the surgeon fees.
• We do not offer ‘No Gap’ cover
• If the procedure is performed in a hospital, you must check with your health fund if you are covered for the item numbers outlined in your quote prior to any surgical procedure. Some health funds have limited cover for some of the Plastic Surgery Medicare item numbers.
• Most anaesthetists will have a gap of between $200-300 for procedures performed in a hospital and will invoice you separately from Dr Turner.
Today Medicare rebates do not cover the full cost of providing patients with the premium level of medical care they deserve. This is because the rate at which governments have increased the Medicare Schedule fees has been substantially lower than increases in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and average weekly earnings.
The reality is that Medicare rebates do not cover the cost of providing you with safe and high-quality service. The fees charged by this practice have to cover all of our practice costs including employing receptionists and practice nurses, and meeting our operating expenses such as rent, medical equipment, electricity, computers, and insurance.
Medicare rebates have been frozen since 1 November 2012 with no plans to increase fees in the foreseeable future.
It is not possible for this practice to meet our running costs each year without increasing our fees. The Medicare rebate freeze means that this practice is no longer able to bulk bill all of our patients. Our medical fees are in accordance with the guidelines set out by the Australian Medical Association (AMA).