Lip Lift Surgery – Upper Lip Lift Surgery by Dr Turner in Newcastle and Sydney NSW
A lip lift surgery can help make your lips look bigger and create a perfect pout without the ongoing need for injectables like lip filler. The results of the lip lift or lip augmentation surgery are considered a more permanent solution. As you age, your lips can become thinner and the space between the upper lip and nostril can lengthen. This can affect your overall appearance and make you look older than you really are. An upper lip lift surgery can help restore the youthful appearance of your lips and make them look fuller and plumper without injectables. Dr Scott Turner is a Plastic Surgeon and Facial Rejuvenation expert in Newcastle and Sydney NSW can help.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Facial Rejuvenation Surgery Guide
Benefits of an Upper Lip Lift may include:
- Showing more of your upper teeth to rejuvenate or improve your facial appearance when smiling or talking
- A better smile – Giving your smile a more balanced or harmonious appearance
- Enhancing your smile if your +bottom teeth feature over prominently
- Balanced Jawline – Reducing the impression of having a protruding lower jawline
- Facial Balance – Improving the ratio of the lower face or balancing out the upper, mid and lower face
- Plumper Lips – Allowing the lips to appear fuller or more noticeably plump, especially if further enhanced with lip augmentation and fillers
Many Types of Lip Lifts
There are a variety of different lip lifts for specific lip shapes and sizes. Dr Turner will help you choose the lip lift surgery that is best for you.
- Bullhorn Lip lift – The subnasal bullhorn is the most commonly performed lip procedure. During this type of lip lift, an incision is created under the base of the nose in the shape of a bull’s horns and the lip is pulled closer to the nose.
- Central Lip Lift – A central lip lift is similar to a subnasal bullhorn lift. It shortens the space between the nose and the lips with an incision at the lower nose.
- Corner Lip Lift – This particular type of lip lift is also called a grin lift because it gives your face a more smiley look by lifting the corners of your lips. Some people get it done alone (those who struggle with droopy corners) while others get it in combination with a central lip lift to achieve a fuller appeal.
- Direct Lip Lift – This type of lip lift will give you a more defined lip border. During the procedure, the surgeon will remove a thin strip of skin above the upper lip and pull it to expose vermillion which makes your lips look fuller.
Who Can Get a Lip Reduction?
Like most cosmetic surgeries, any man or woman in good overall health can be a good candidate. This procedure is highly customisable procedure and can transform the way that men and women look and feel about themselves.
Rather than just reducing the size of the lips, a lip reduction surgery can be designed to create facial harmony by reducing lip asymmetry or scarring.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Lip Lift?
If you want to reduce the space between your nostrils and lips, make your lips look fuller and lifted, then lip lift surgery may be the right procedure for you. Some people prefer temporary treatments like fillers and are ok with the constant upkeep. If you require a more permanent solution, then a lip lift may help. If you are a healthy non-smoker or are prepared to give up smoking before and after the surgery, you may be suitable.
How do I know if I need a lip lift?
If the space between your nose and lips has become elongated and your lips feel longer and thinner, a lip lift may help.
How old do you have to be for a lip lift?
There is no right and wrong age for a lip lift. Most patients who get the lip lift done are between the ages of 20 and 60
What to Expect from a Lip Reduction Surgery
A lip reduction can be a great option for you, whatever your ethnicity is. This simple and nearly painless operation will leave you with no visible scarring and is an ideal solution for creating facial harmony. When you go for a lip reduction procedure, you will be given a local or IV anaesthesia. The actual operation typically takes about 30 minutes per lip. During the operation, very small incisions will be made inside of the lip, which will leave no visible scarring outside of your lips after the procedure. Following the procedure, patients can generally expect a recovery time of about one week, depending on the degree of swelling.
About The Lip Lift Procedure
Based on the type of lip lift you choose, the procedure will differ. Here is a general outline of how your procedure will look like:
- Dr Turner or his anaesthetist will use a local anaesthetic to numb the treatment site. In certain cases, general anaesthesia is used based on the patient’s preference
- He will remove a small, shaped piece of skin under your nose (the skin removal area will depend on the type of lip lift)
- Your lip is lifted and sutures will be used to close the incision
Recovery after Lip lift – Post Lip Lift Care
The right post-treatment care will impact your results. Here are a few tips to follow after lip lift surgery that will help you with recovery and getting an optimal result:
- Make sure to rest well 24 to 48 hours after the surgery
- Avoid all kinds of strenuous workouts for at least a week or two after the surgery
- Sleep on your back and avoid sleeping on your sides or stomach – avoid putting pressure near the wound
- Do not move your lips excessively for the first week or two after the surgery
- Take care of your incisions as per your surgeon’s instructions to avoid infections.
- Avoid eating anything that requires you to open your mouth widely or hard to chew foods – try smoothies, soups and softer foods for the first few days post-surgery.
- Rinse your mouth after eating your meals
- Use a baby toothbrush to clean your teeth every morning and night. Be extremely gentle
- Take all the medications, on time as prescribed by your surgeon
- Use a lip balm to keep your lips moisturized at all times after the wound has healed
- Do not skip the follow-up appointment with your surgeon.
Lip Lift Recovery FAQs
Can you talk after lip lift?
Yes, you definitely can talk after a lip lift surgery. However, it is best to restrict your lip movement and talking for at least two days after the lip lift.
How do you care for a lip lift incision?
Make sure to rinse your mouth with water every single time you eat. Clean the incisions as instructed.
How long after a lip lift can you smile?
You could smile immediately after a lip lift. It is best to restrict lip movement including smiling for at least a few days after the procedure.
How long does lip lift take to heal?
The full healing period can take up to six to twelve weeks
Risks and Potential Complications of a Lip Lift
Every surgery comes with a certain degree of risks and complications. Lip lift surgery is no different. Here are a few of the possible risks associated with the surgery:
- Swelling and bruising around the lips is a common side effect of the surgery but these effects don’t last very long
- Some patients experience poor wound healing or infection – Avoid using lip cosmetics for a few days after the surgery or till your incisions heal fully.
- Infection is always a concern if you don’t care for your incision site properly. Take special care on keeping your incisions clean and dry at all times during the healing phase.
- Scarring is a common concern with certain types of lip lifts. It is good to follow all the post-surgical care instructions
- Blood loss can be a problem with some patients during the surgery
- One of the less common risks is nerve damage
- A few people also get an allergic reaction to anesthesia
For more information visit the risks and complications of surgery page
Prices & Cost of the Lip Lift Surgery – How much is an Upper Lip Lift?
The overall cost of the lip lift depends on a couple of factors; experience and expertise of the surgeon, location, facility and type of lip lift. The average cost of the procedures in Sydney NSW varies between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on your surgeon’s experience and where the procedure is performed.
Will Medicare or Private Health Insurance cover a Lip Lift Surgery?
- If your Lip lift surgery is a purely cosmetic enhancement procedure, medicare and your insurance will not cover the expenses. You will have to pay for it out of your pocket.
Lip Lift FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about upper lip lift surgery:
Does the upper lip get longer with age?
As we age, the skin between our nose and upper lips sag and lengthen, it results in a longer and thinner upper lift. So, it does get longer as we age.
Do lip lifts look natural?
When done right, lip lift will give you a youthful appearance without looking fake. It is a very subtle change and will look natural. It is crucial to communicate your desired results to the surgeon openly. If you want a natural pout, inform the surgeon. If you want a fake duck pout, inform the surgeon as well.
Does a lip lift change your nose?
All lip lifts can potentially change your nose a bit (not necessarily in a bad way). Essentially, the upper lip lift will minimize the tension on the nose.
Does a lip lift change your smile?
It will not affect your ability to smile. However, lips are an important part of a smile. Youthful, lifted lips can help make your smile more attractive.
Does a lip lift show more teeth?
A lip lift procedure essentially lifts and curls the upper lift which can expose a bit more teeth which makes anyone appear more youthful and vibrant.
Does lip lift make lips bigger?
A lip lift not only shortens the distance between the nose and the lips but also flips the lip which exposes more of the pink tissue. As a result, your lips look fuller and bigger.
How does a lip flip feel?
For starters, it gives a prominent pout to your lips which makes you feel more confident.
What is a bullhorn lip lift?
A bullhorn lip lift is a procedure that makes your lips appear bigger and fuller without the use of a filler.
What is a modified lip lift?
A modified lip lift minimizes the space between the nose and lips and adds to the volume of the upper lip.
What is a Subnasal lip lift?
During a subnasal lip lift procedure, a portion of the skin underneath the nose is removed to give your lips a lifted appearance. It also enhances the shape of the cupid bow.
What is an upper lip lift?
The upper lip lift makes your lips appear fuller by shortening the space between the nose and lips and flipping the lip.
What is an Italian lip lift?
It is a variation of a bullhorn lip lift but involves a shorter incision. It also makes your lips appear fuller and more youthful.
What is lip plastic surgery called?
Lip plastic surgery is commonly referred to as lip augmentation.
What's the difference between a lip flip and a lip lift?
A lip lift is a surgical procedure that shortens the distance between the nose and upper lip by removing tissue underneath the nose. On the other hand, a lip flip involves the use of injectables in the upper lip area to change lip shape. The results of both these procedures can look similar while the technique differs.
Which celebrities have had a lip lift?
Kylie Jenner, Megan Fox and Courtney Cox are the most well-known celebrities believed to have had a lip lift.
Preparing for Lip Lift Surgery
Dr Turner will give you very detailed instructions on getting ready for the lip lift. Here are a few things that can help you prepare:
- Quit smoking for a few weeks before the procedure.
- You will need to give up alcohol for at least a few weeks before the lip lift surgery.
- Do not consume blood-thinning medications for at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Avoid taking any supplements without your surgeon’s approval.
- Apply for leave from work in advance and take about two to three days off from work.
- Do not eat anything six to eight hours before the surgery.
How to Choose the Best Lip Lift Surgeon in Sydney or Newcastle
With any type of surgery including lip lift, choosing the right surgeon helps get the best lip lift results. Here are a few steps that will help you make the right decision:
- Do your research. Search through websites that recommend the best surgeons in your particular area that perform upper lip lift surgery. Once you have a list, visit each surgeon’s profile in detail.
- Read reviews online, visit forums on which people are talking about their experiences and you will certainly be able to shortlist three to four names.
- Always look for a Specialist Plastic Surgeon (not a doctor or cosmetic surgeon) who has extensive experience in performing lip lift surgeries.
- Have a consultation with at least 2 plastic surgeons and get a feel for their expertise and how comfortable you feel with each one of them.
- Ask the surgeons to show you before and after photographs of their patients. It will give you a clear insight into their style and aesthetics
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]