Eyelid Lift Surgery or Blepharoplasty can help you look more refreshed and less tired. Dr Scott Turner is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW. Find out more about Blepharoplasty Surgery in this article on Eyelid Lift FAQs. For more information about Eyelid Lift Recovery – read the blog or download Dr Turner’s recovery guide.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Results & Benefits
Does an eyelift make you look younger?
- An eyelift surgery tightens the skin around your eyes, removes puffiness, and wrinkles and can make you look years younger. Most eyelid lift patients report looking less tired and more refreshed. They also are happier that they can now show off their eyelid makeup.
Does eyelid surgery change appearance?
- Yes, a properly performed eyelid procedure makes you appear more youthful and refreshed.
Can blepharoplasty change the shape of the eyes?
- No, in most cases, it will not change the shape of your eyes. In some cases, it can happen, but a qualified surgeon will take every step to prevent it.
Does eyelid surgery make eyes bigger?
- Eyelid surgery doesn’t change the true shape of your eyes, but it can make your eyes appear bigger as it gets rid of excess skin and encroaching tissue from the corners. You can also lift your eye makeup game.
Will a blepharoplasty get rid of eye wrinkles?
- Yes, it helps to get rid of wrinkles and make your eyes appear more youthful.
Will eyelid surgery improve my dark circles?
- Lower eyelid surgery or Lower Blepharoplasty can potentially improve the look of dark circles if they are caused by shadowing due to bulging fats. However, if dark circles are caused due to pigmentation, eyelid surgery will not cure it.
Can laser skin resurfacing give me the same results as eyelid surgery?
- Laser skin resurfacing can give you some skin tightening around the eyes but won’t get rid of droopy eyelids completely. Hence, many patients believe an eyelid surgery is a better and longer lasting option.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Suitability for Eyelid Surgery
What are the main types of eyelid surgery?
- Following are the main types of eyelid surgery:
- Cosmetic eyelid surgery
- Functional eyelid surgery
- Upper blepharoplasty for upper eyelids
- Lower blepharoplasty for lower eyelids
- Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty for both sets of eyelids
- Asian Double Eyelid Surgery
How do I know if I need an eye lift?
- If you have puffiness and bags under the eyes, fine lines, excess skin on the lower eyelid, and sagging skin, you can improve it with the help of eyelid lift surgery.
What is a good age for blepharoplasty?
- There is no right or wrong age for blepharoplasty. You can get surgery done at any age over 18. Most patients who come in for blepharoplasty are above 35.
Who is a good candidate for blepharoplasty?
- You are a good candidate for blepharoplasty if:
- You have sagging and drooping eyelids
- You have fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes
- You wish to look younger and fresher
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Preparing for Bleph Surgery
What should I do before blepharoplasty?
- Here is how to prepare for blepharoplasty:
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, or any other blood-thinning medications that can lead to bruising.
- Avoid smoking for many weeks before the procedure as it can hinder the healing process.
- Avoid sunburn and suntanning and always wear an SPF while going out in the sun for a period of 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Arrange for someone responsible to drive you home after the surgery.
- Avoid drinking or eating anything past midnight on the day of the surgery, including water.
What should I bring to the surgery?
- You should bring in all your reports required by the surgeon, a pair of sunglasses, an ice pack, and eye prescriptions you have been asked to bring in.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Blepharoplasty Surgery
Does eyelid surgery require anaesthesia?
- Yes, eyelid surgery requires anaesthesia. Some surgeons will do Upper Eyelids under local anaesthesia in their rooms or a day surgery – this is less costly. Most Surgeons recommend doing upper and lower eyelids in a hospital setting under general anaesthesia for safety reasons, more control and better results.
Are you awake during blepharoplasty?
- Most of the time, the surgery is performed under general anaesthesia and you are asleep. Upper Eyelid Surgery can also be performed under local anaesthesia with intravenous sedation where you would be awake and aware.
Are you put to sleep for eyelid surgery?
- Yes, in most cases, you are put to sleep for eyelid surgery. Some people prefer to be awake during the surgery. In that case, local anaesthesia is used.
Can I get eyelid surgery done on one of my eyes?
- Yes, if you naturally have one droopy eyelid, the surgery can be performed on one eye only. This is called a unilaterla Blepharoplasty.
How long does eyelid surgery take?
- The surgery is typically completed in less than an hour or so
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Recovery after Surgery
What can I expect after eyelid surgery?
- Your eyelids will be swollen and bruised for 3 to 7 days after the surgery. The eyelids will begin to look fairly normal in a period of 10 to 14 days, and you can return back to work.
What is the fastest way to recover from eyelid surgery?
- Here are a few ways to speed up your recovery process:
- Get a lot of rest as it helps you heal faster
- Do not smoke or drink for a few weeks till you are fully recovered
- Stick to all the post-recovery instructions your surgeon has given you
- Stay clear of any strenuous activities
- Stay out of the sun
- Don’t put stress on your eyes; avoid watching TV or using your phone excessively
- Eat healthily and drink fluids
Can you sleep on your side after eyelid surgery?
- No, you should sleep on your back in an elevaed position for at least a week or two post-surgery.
How do you sleep after a blepharoplasty?
- Sleep on your back with 2 to 3 pillows propped up under your head. It helps with swelling.
Can you watch TV after eyelid surgery?
- Avoid watching TV for 3 to 5 days after the surgery as it can put excessive strain on your eyes.
How long after blepharoplasty can I wear makeup?
- Wait for a period of 2 to 3 weeks before applying any eye makeup to your eyes. Your eyes can get easily irritated during this time period so stay clear of makeup.
How long before you can drive after eyelid surgery?
- You can drive three days after the eyelid surgery.
How long does it take to heal from upper blepharoplasty?
- Your eyelid will be swollen for a period of one to three weeks after the surgery, but you can resume your day-to-day activities within two weeks after the surgery.
How long does it take to recover from eyelid surgery?
- It will take you 2 to 3 weeks to recover completely from the eyelid surgery.
How long will my eyes feel tight after blepharoplasty?
- The tightness in the eyes lasts for around 2 to 4 weeks after blepharoplasty.
What can you not do after eyelid surgery?
- Here is a list of the things you cannot do:
- Avoid sneezing, coughing, and vomiting after the surgery as it puts excessive strain on the eyes.
- Avoid lifting items that are more than 3 kg.
- Do not bend at your waist till you are completely healed.
- Do not do heavy lifting or strenuous exercises.
- Don’t sleep on your side for the first two weeks after the surgery.
When can I wash my hair after blepharoplasty?
- You can start washing your hair five days after the surgery.
What should I eat after the surgery?
- You can eat anything after the surgery. It is generally recommended to eat a healthy diet to aid the body’s natural healing process.
Can I smoke or drink after eyelid surgery?
- No, you should avoid smoking and drinking for as long as possible after the surgery. Smoking reduces blood flow to the wound and can delay healing and result in poor quality results. Don’t Smoke!
When can I shower after eyelid surgery?
- You can take a shower from the neck down any time after the surgery. Avoid facial showers for at least five days or till your surgeon asks you to. Avoid very hot water as it can harm your healing eyelids.
How soon can I return to work after eyelid surgery?
- You can return to work in about a week or two after the surgery.
When can I start wearing contact lenses after the surgery?
- Avoid wearing contacts for three weeks after the surgery as it can irritate your eyes and cause dryness.
How should I reduce scars after eyelid surgery?
- The scars from the eyelid surgery are every tiny and well hidden in the crease. The scars will fade away on their own. Some patients use silicon scar gels to reduce scars further.
When will I start to see the results of the eyelid surgery?
- You will see the results of eyelid surgery about two weeks after the surgery. The results will continue to improve over time as the swelling goes down.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about longer term results
How long does an eye lift last?
- The longevity of eyelid surgery can vary from patient to patient. Your face will continue to age, skin will become lax and lose volume. A good skin care routine can help you look younger. Typically, lower eyelid surgery results can last a lifetime, while upper eyelid surgery results may last anywhere between 5 to 10 years.
Does eyelid surgery last forever?
- The results of lower eyelid surgery are permanent for most patients. However, the results of upper eyelid surgery last for about 5 to 10 years.
Can blepharoplasty be done twice?
- Yes, blepharoplasty can be performed twice. This would be a revision blepharoplasty for further eyelid correction or skin removal.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Risks & Concerns
Can eye bags return after blepharoplasty?
- A properly done blepharoplasty by an experienced plastic surgeon should last more than a decade. Adopt a good skincare routine and enjoy your new eyelids.
Does eyelid surgery hurt?
- Eyelid surgery is one of the least painful cosmetic procedures. You will be under anaesthesia, so you are unlikely to feel a thing during the procedure. The recovery period can involve minor discomfort, which can easily be managed with the help of painkillers.
Is upper eyelid surgery painful?
- No, it is not a painful procedure as you will be under anaesthesia. The recovery process is fairly comfortable and quick as well.
Does upper eyelid surgery leave scars?
- The incision is made in the crease of the eye, which means that it will only show when your eyes are closed. It won’t be visible when your eyes are open. Moreover, the scar will fade away over time.
What can go wrong with blepharoplasty?
- If you choose the right plastic surgeon and follow all the pre and post-care instructions thoroughly, you can expect good eyelid surgery results. Some of the complications of eyelid surgery include bleeding, dry eyes, scarring, and irritated eyes. Read the Surgery Risks Page and ask your surgeon for more details during the consultation.
What can go wrong with upper eyelid surgery?
- Some side effects of the upper eyelid surgery include scarring, bruising, and swelling in the eye area. Read the Surgery Risks Page and ask Dr Turner for more details during the consultation.
Eyelid Lift FAQs about Funding your surgery
Does medicare cover Eyelid Surgery?
- Medicare does not typically cover cosmetic surgeries such as eyelid surgery unless they are deemed as a medical necessity by your doctor. You may have eyelid surgery to improve eyesight and peripheral vision and medicare may cover that. You will need proof – a vision test from an opthamologist to help meet the strict Medicare criteria.
Does health insurance pay for blepharoplasty?
- Blepharoplasty is usually covered by private health insurance funds if it is deemed as a medical necessity by medicare and you have the right level of cover. If it is purely cosmetic surgery for aesthetic reasons – you probably won’t be covered. You will need to meet the strict Medicare criteria like a vision field test by an opthamologist. Call your health fund and enquire.
To find answers to any other Eyelid Lift FAQs – please contact Dr Turner’s team
Always Do Your Research
- Enquire to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A GP Referral is required to Consult with Dr Turner (under new AHPRA Regulations)
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing and payment plans
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation
- You can book your initial consultation by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment
BOOK A PHONE CALL FOR MORE INFO
- To find out more information about surgery you can book a FREE 15-minute phone conversation with our Friendly Patient Care team via Calendly- Book Consultant 1 or Book Consultant 2
Contact us or call on 1300 437 758 to arrange your surgeon consultation in Sydney.