Nose Job Surgery like Rhinoplasty, Alarplasty and Septoplasty can help improve the look and function of your Nose and Nostrils. Dr Scott Turner is a Nose Surgery expert and Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Newcastle and Sydney NSW. Here are his answers to common Nose Surgery FAQs.
CLICK to Download Dr Scott Turner’s Rhinoplasty Nose Surgery Guide
Nose Job & Nose Surgery FAQs
How do I decide if I need a nose job?
- If you are worried about any of the following problems, you might want to consider a nose job:
- Crooked or Broken nose
- A hump on the bridge
- Deep radix
- Big nose tip
- Crease at the tip
- Excessively prominent nose – Big nose
- Very small nose that doesn’t suit your face
How common is a nose job?
- A nose job is one of the most common facial cosmetic surgery procedure, with about 220,000 surgeries performed worldwide every year.
Is my nose getting bigger?
- For some of us, our noses will get bigger as we age. Moreover, some skin conditions such as Rhinophyma also cause your nose to appear bulbous.
What is the perfect nose?
- A nose that is deemed as a ‘perfect nose’ is the one that fits harmoniously with the rest of your facial features.
How are nose jobs done?
- A top nose Surgeon alters the shape of your nose by making alterations to your nasal bones or cartridges. Typically, rhinoplasty incisions are made inside your nose between the nostrils combined with adjustment of bones and cartilage to create the desired look. You can have open or closed rhinoplasty.
What is the difference between closed and open Rhinoplasty?
- In closed Rhinoplasty, all the incisions are made on the inside of your nose. If the patients require open Rhinoplasty, an incision will also be made at the along the visible bottom edge of your nasal septum. An open rhinoplasty can give the surgeon better access and control while a closed rhinoplasty has no visible scars under the nose.
Nose Surgery FAQs about Nose Job Results and Benefits
Does a nose job change your face?
- Yes, it can alter your overall facial appearance drastically. Even a slightly disproportionate and big nose can have a significant impact on your face. So, a nose job is a great way to alter your appearance for good.
Can a nose job make your nose smaller?
- Yes, Rhinoplasty can make your nose smaller.
Does a nose job make you look younger?
- Although, it is not an anti-aging procedure. A nose job can make you look a few years younger.
Will a nose job make me prettier?
- Some medical and psychological studies suggest that people who have undergone a nose job appear more beautiful and perceive themselves as pretty too.
Does nose job affect your lips?
- Rhinoplasty can have an impact on the movement and appearance of your upper lip. As your nose nose tip is lifted, your upper lip will be more enhanced.
How can I reduce the size of my nose?
- The only way to slim down your nose is by opting for a nose surgery like a rhinoplasty.
Does Rhinoplasty change your face?
- Yes, Rhinoplasty can drastically alter the appearance of your face.
Does Rhinoplasty change your smile?
- Rhinoplasty can change the appearance of your upper lip, thereby changing your smile a bit.
Will my nose get smaller after Rhinoplasty?
- Yes, your nose can get smaller after Rhinoplasty if that is what you want from your surgery.
Can Rhinoplasty help sleep apnea?
- Functional Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty can have a significant impact on the severity of sleep apnea. It can help improve sleep apnea in patients having nasal obstruction.
Does a nose job change your voice?
- No, a nose job does not alter your voice.
Am I Suitable? Nose Surgery FAQs
What is a good age to get a nose job?
- It is advised not to get a nose job until your nose has reached its adult size. It is typically 16 for girls and 25 for guys.
What is the best age for a nose job?
- There is no defining age for Rhinoplasty, but ideally, you should get it done between the ages of 20 and 40.
Am I too old for a nose job?
- There is no specific age limit for surgery, but when a patient is 60 or older, it requires a thorough evaluation of the patient’s health to see if they are suitable for the surgery or not.
Preparing for Nose Surgery FAQs
How do I prepare for a nose job?
- Here is how to prepare for a nose job:
- Do not take any blood-thinning medications or vitamin E a week before the procedure.
- Avoid smoking and drinking a few weeks before the surgery.
- Make sure that you are eating a healthy diet and drinking enough water a few weeks before the surgery.
- Do take a leave from work in advance.
- Do not eat or drink anything 12 hours before the surgery.
What should you avoid before Nose Surgery?
- Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, blood-thinning medications, vitamin E, herbal supplements, smoking, and drinking a few weeks prior to the procedure.
Should I shave before Rhinoplasty?
- Do not shave at least a day before Rhinoplasty. It is not recommended.
What do you wear during rhinoplasty surgery?
- Avoid wearing anything that goes over your neck. Stick to front open shirts and blouses. Wear loose, comfy bottoms that are easy to take on and off, and don’t forget a comfy pair of shoes.
Rhinoplasty Nose Surgery FAQs
How long does the rhinoplasty procedure take?
- Rhinoplasty takes anywhere between 1.5 to 3 hours.
Do you feel anything during Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- You will be administered general anesthesia during the surgery, so you won’t feel a thing during the procedure.
Are you awake during the nose job?
- It depends on the type of anesthesia your surgeon uses. If he uses general anesthesia, you will be asleep through the surgery. In the case of local anesthesia, you will be lightly sedated but still awake during the procedure.
Can Rhinoplasty be done under local anesthesia?
- Yes, it can be done under local anesthesia if that is what you prefer.
Can you be awake during the nose job?
- Yes, you can be awake during the nose job if local anesthesia is used.
How do they break your nose during Rhinoplasty?
- In some cases, the osteotomy is performed during Rhinoplasty, which involves a controlled break of the nose with the help of a tool that precisely cuts the bone of your nose.
Recovery after Nose Surgery FAQs
How long does it take to recover from nose surgery?
- It will take at least six weeks to heal from the surgery but it may take up to a year for full results to be apparent. Learn more about Recovery after Nose Surgery – Best Tips – Do’s and Dont’s.
How long does the pain last after a nose job?
- Discomfort lasts for 36 to 72 hours after the surgery, which will be countered with pain killers.
How long does the tip of the nose stay hard after Rhinoplasty?
- The stiffness of the nose lasts for nine months to one year after the surgery.
What are the side effects of nose surgery?
- Following are some of the side effects of nose surgery (they don’t last very long):
- Difficulty breathing
- Numbness around nose
Can I drive home after Rhinoplasty?
- No, you won’t be able to drive home after Rhinoplasty. Arrange for someone responsible in advance so that you don’t have to make an arrangement on the day of surgery.
What is the fastest way to recover from a nose job?
- First and foremost, listen to your surgeon and adhere to all the pre and post-care instructions given by him/her:
- Get plenty of rest as it aids the body’s natural healing process
- Eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water.
- Keep your head in an alleviated position
- Use cold compression to minimize swelling
- Do not blow your nose
- Breath in through your mouth
- Avoid any anti-inflammatory medications
- Do not smoke or drink for a few weeks after the surgery
Can I drink caffeine after Rhinoplasty?
- You should avoid any caffeinated drinks during the recovery process of Rhinoplasty as it interferes with your pain medication and leads to discomfort. So, stay clear of caffeine till you are fully healed.
Can I eat ice cream after Rhinoplasty?
- No, you shouldn’t eat ice cream or any other cold foods during your recovery phase.
Can you brush your teeth after Rhinoplasty?
- You need to brush your teeth carefully. Avoid touching your upper lip or moving it too much, as it can mess up your nose.
Can I sleep on my side after the nose job?
- It is not advised to sleep on your side after the nose job. Sleep on your back with your head alleviated.
Can I touch my nose two weeks after Rhinoplasty?
- It is not a good idea to touch your nose excessively during the healing and recovery phase of the process.
Can you drink from a straw after Rhinoplasty?
- Avoid drinking from a straw till you are healed, as it involves sucking motion that can damage your new nose.
Can I chew after Rhinoplasty?
- Yes, you can chew after Rhinoplasty. However, it is recommended that you avoid any spicy foods and hard-to-chew foods for the first two weeks after the surgery.
When can I chew after Rhinoplasty?
- You can chew after Rhinoplasty. It is best to avoid hard-to-chew foods for at least two weeks after getting Rhinoplasty.
What can you eat after nose surgery?
- It is best to eat bland, easy-to-chew foods for a period of 24 hours after the surgery. Avoid spicy foods and hard-to-chew foods for the first few days. Mashed potatoes, smoothies, porridges, and oatmeal are the best options.
When can I shave after Rhinoplasty?
- It is best to wait for at least six weeks before you decide to shave after Rhinoplasty. It is not necessary to wait that long, but it is generally recommended.
How soon can I shower after Rhinoplasty?
- You can shower two days after Rhinoplasty. Make sure to use only lukewarm water after the surgery. Avoid hot showers.
How long after a nose job can you fly?
- It is best to wait for at least one week before you can start flying.
What happens if I touch my nose after Rhinoplasty?
- It is very natural to feel curious about how your nose looks and feels. But avoid touching it excessively, as it can misalign the tissues of your nose during the healing phase.
When can I return to work after a Rhinoplasty?
- Most patients can return back to work within two weeks after the surgery. If your job involves strenuous activity, it is advised to wait for three to six weeks or till your surgeon gives you a go.
Longer Term results of Nose Surgery FAQs
Does a nose job last forever?
- Yes, Rhinoplasty is typically a surgical procedure that lasts a lifetime. So, your new nose will stay on your face forever. You may need a revision surgery at some point if your nose changes.
How long will rhinoplasty results last?
- The results of Rhinoplasty can last forever. Your nose may, however, change over time or be damaged requiring nose revision surgery
What is revision rhinoplasty?
- Revision rhinoplasty is a second or further rhinoplasty that is performed when a patient is not satisfied with the results of the primary or earlier Rhinoplasties.
Nose Surgery FAQs about Concerns and Risks
Does nose surgery hurt?
- No, it will not hurt as you will be under anesthesia after the surgery. Pain medication will limit discomfort post surgery.
Does nose surgery leave scars?
- Most of the scars will be hidden or placed within the nostrils. As a result, there will be minimal visible scarring from the surgery.
How painful is a rhinoplasty?
- You will not experience any pain during Rhinoplasty. After the surgery, you will be given a handful of painkillers to counter pain.
Can nose jobs go wrong?
- Yes, nose jobs can go wrong if you choose the wrong surgeon or don’t follow pre and post-care instructions. As many as 1 in 5 nose surgery patients (20%) seek a further or revisionary nose surgery at some stage
How often does a nose job go wrong?
- About 7 percent of nose jobs “go wrong”. Hence, it is advised to choose the right surgeon to reduce the chances of revisional nose surgery.
Can you ruin your Rhinoplasty?
- Yes, you can. Hence, follow all the post-op instructions and avoid touching your nose excessively, impacting your nose, hard chewing, lifting heavy objects, poking your nose, and bending over.
Funding Your Nose Surgery FAQs
Does Medicare cover Nose Surgery?
Medicare may cover your nose surgery if it meets the strict criteria. This is usually for breathing problems and not for cosmetic or aesthetic reasons. Medicare Item Number 41671 may help with Septoplasty and Item Number 45635 & 45639 can help with a Rhinoplasty. Other Item numbers for nose surgery related to airway obstruction include 41671, 41672 41689 41716 41737, 41752 45635 45641 45644
Will health insurance cover my nose job?
- If you are getting Rhinoplasty for purely cosmetic reasons, your insurance will not cover your nose job. However, if your Nose Surgery is deemed as a medical necessity and you meet the medicare strict criteria for an item number then your health insurance may cover the procedure. This is usually for breathing problems not purely aesthetic ones. You will need the right level of cover and must check with your health fund.
Is a nose job worth it?
- Realself Patient Surveys show a very high satisfaction rate for Septoplasty (96%) and Rhinoplasty (92%) so Yes, it is definitely worth it. It can make your face look symmetrical or improve your breathing too.
Dr Scott Turner FRACS (Plas) – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Scott J Turner has spent a lifetime acquiring the qualifications, education, training, and hands-on surgical experience to perform superior cosmetic plastic surgery to give you natural, beautiful results and the improved sense of well-being you want. He is one of the top Specialist Plastic Surgeons with a Breast and Body Surgery focus in New South Wales.
Achieving this personal goal requires not only in-depth knowledge of human anatomy and refined surgical techniques but an ongoing commitment to learning the latest procedures around the world. This is why Dr Turner regularly attends both local and international surgeon meetings – discussing these advances with the leaders around the world in order to offer you the most natural, effective and safest surgical procedures.
Dr Turner and his highly trained staff will do everything to ensure that you are fully informed, while providing exceptional, world-class cosmetic plastic surgery, in a personal and caring environment.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Turner?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Medical Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Scott
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Turner
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Turner by paying the $350 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Contact us or call on 1300 641 199 to arrange your consultation in Sydney or Newcastle.
Email us for more information: [email protected]